Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

excited; passionate; ardent; fervent
enthusiastic
flexible
executive
additional
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does I don't buy it mean?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What is the meaning of the idiom "had a pig"? | What does 'to be shut in' mean?
listening exercises
What does I don't buy it mean? #1 (permalink) Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:44 am   What does I don't buy it mean?

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #545 "English Slang Idioms (148)", question 1

"Now, James, don't climb on your ......... and start preaching about how our society is harming the planet through our use of fossil fuels just because this couple mentioned wanting to buy a six-cylinder car," Matt told his brother.

(a) bull horn
(b) pulpit
(c) soapbox
(d) rocking horse

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #545 "English Slang Idioms (148)", answer 1

"Now, James, don't climb on your soapbox and start preaching about how our society is harming the planet through our use of fossil fuels just because this couple mentioned wanting to buy a six-cylinder car," Matt told his brother.

Correct answer: (c) soapbox

is "don't buy it" an idiom?
Buyme

What does I don't buy it mean? #2 (permalink) Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:41 pm   What does I don't buy it mean?

Please supply context.

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What does I don't buy it mean? #3 (permalink) Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:51 pm   What does I don't buy it mean?

Hi probably means "I don't buy it" meaning "I don't get it/I don't understand it".

TOEIC listening, photographs: On the treadmill
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

What does I don't buy it mean? #4 (permalink) Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:58 pm   What does I don't buy it mean?

Or 'I don't believe it', but we cannot know without context; it may just be a warning against an unwise purchase.

What does I don't buy it mean? #5 (permalink) Sun Nov 29, 2009 13:00 pm   What does I don't buy it mean?

Hi Charles, you are right. "I don't buy it" means "I don't believe it" rather than "I don't understand it" if it's used as an idiom. Thanks a lot for the reminder!

TOEIC listening, photographs: In front of a store
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

What is the meaning of the idiom "had a pig"? | What does 'to be shut in' mean?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
What does locked in mean?'I'm going to park the car' vs 'I'm going to push the car'December is a month after November and is the twelveth of the year, right?Meaning of boorscowardice vs cowardWhat is the meaning of consumers and costumers?When to use either and neither?What does discord mean?What does skiing mean?'All you have to do is to telephone this number' OR 'All you have to make is ...'Who vs. whomWhat does 'un-right' mean?I think it should be: Do you like Microsoft or Macintossh computers?