to try to; to assay
exist
attempt
publicize
provision

heck's becks?

Manual - Entrepreneurial climate in VET schools | "to be" and modals before adverb?
heck's becks? #1 (permalink) Fri Dec 04, 2009 16:54 pm   heck's becks?

What does "heck's becks" mean? Here is the context:"Heck's beck Emily, you're a bit twitchy tonight, aren't you? "
Thank you very much!
Jung
Hongdung

heck's becks? #2 (permalink) Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:46 am   heck's becks?

I guess it's a euphemism for 'hell', similar to 'heck'.

TOEFL listening discussions: A conversation between an upperclassman and a freshman coed

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
heck's becks? #3 (permalink) Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:59 am   heck's becks?

There is a common expression in the US, "Hells bells!" It is used to mean something like, "wow". I would guess "Hecks beck" is a play on this.
Expatcat

Location: Bonn, Germany

heck's becks? #4 (permalink) Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:10 am   heck's becks?

I would say Torsten's guess hit the mark in a pinpoint manner. According to my dictionary, heck is an alteration of hell.
Haihao

Location: Japan

heck's becks? #5 (permalink) Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:27 am   heck's becks?

And I beg to differ at the comment on its similarity to "wow". They are quite different in usage and characteristic: the former shows anger whereas the latter pleasure.
Haihao

Location: Japan

heck's becks? #6 (permalink) Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:03 am   heck's becks?

Haihao wrote:

Are you talking about the singular words or the expression "Hell's bells" (yes I typed it incorrectly the first time)?

I was explaining the expression "Hell's bells" and its similarity to "heck's becks". Dictionary.com has this entry for "Hell's bells";
–nounInformal.
(used interjectionally to indicate vexation or surprise.)

So it would seem to me that "Heck's becks" is a way to say "Hell's bells" without using the word hell.
Expatcat

Location: Bonn, Germany

heck's becks? #7 (permalink) Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:48 am   heck's becks?

Expatcat wrote:
It is used to mean something like, "wow".

My disagreement was to the above comment.
Haihao

Location: Japan

heck's becks? #8 (permalink) Tue Apr 20, 2010 13:00 pm   heck's becks?

Well, feel free to disagree, but that is the meaning of the expression in the midwest of the US.
Expatcat

Location: Bonn, Germany

IF clauseIs this correct?BONY SCOTLANDA question about : tiredgrandiloquent and magniloquentParaphrase this sentences: Computational biology is the perfect combination of...Sentence: I had a slip yesterday but it wasn't a funnel though. It's about...Difference between progress and progressionSlang: We are as near heaven on the sea as on the landIncorrect expression: When television became (A) popular, many people thought...When we use "itself" and "by itself"?Sentence: Echoes ... for radar to detect distant objects.Meanig of "before he didn't leap up"