Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to take money from the bank; to retire; to remove
connote
treat
misunderstand
withdraw
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

befriended vs betrayed

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
easygoing vs user-friendly | choice vs. chosen
listening exercises
befriended vs betrayed #1 (permalink) Fri Dec 04, 2009 17:50 pm   befriended vs betrayed

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #710 "Friends", question 8

Kevin ......... Sam when Sam really needed it. Sam was going through a difficult time, and really needed a friend to talk to about his problems.

(a) used
(b) befriended
(c) hurt
(d) betrayed

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #710 "Friends", answer 8

Kevin befriended Sam when Sam really needed it. Sam was going through a difficult time, and really needed a friend to talk to about his problems.

Correct answer: (b) befriended

I thought that Kevin betrayed Sam,when he needed a friend to talk about his problems,so I chose 'betrayed'.which is incorrect.Why is this so?
Luby
I'm here quite often ;-)

befriended vs betrayed #2 (permalink) Fri Dec 04, 2009 22:01 pm   befriended vs betrayed

Hi Luby,

do you really think that anybody needs to be betrayed (cheated)? Particularly when the needy person anyway doesnīt feel very comfortable? Obviously such person had rather a good friend beside, donīt you think so?

Michael
Foah
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
befriended vs betrayed #3 (permalink) Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:45 am   befriended vs betrayed

I agree.
Because the sentence is "when Sam needed it." Sam doesn't need betrayal. He needs friendship. That's why it should be "befriended."
Grasi02
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

easygoing vs user-friendly | choice vs. chosen
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Why can't we say 'being vanished' in this sentence?He saw the writing on the wall?She was not going to go out on a limb for anyone anymore?What does 'forty winks' mean?When does an epidemic becomes a pandemic?Idiom: At face valueMeaning of "Our neighbor is at large right now"Expression "put one's foot in one's mouth"Must a word celebrity necessarily mean movie star or can it mean music star...?Isn't that Biographer and Autobiographer writes about others' life stories?What does aid effort mean?Why the answer is 'fair weather friend' because I think it sounds like she...?Why is banter not correct?