doubly
twice
foremost
cheap
regularly

Why the answer is 'fair weather friend' because I think it sounds like she...?

Isn't that Biographer and Autobiographer writes about others' life stories? | Expression "put one's foot in one's mouth"
Why the answer is 'fair weather friend' because I think it sounds like she...? #1 (permalink) Fri Dec 04, 2009 17:54 pm   Why the answer is 'fair weather friend' because I think it sounds like she...?

ESL/EFL Test #710 "Friends", question 9

Martha is a .......... She is never there when I have a problem. If I call her to talk about my problems, she tells me that she is busy and hangs up quickly.

(a) friends
(b) fair weather friend
(c) friendship
(d) friendliness

ESL/EFL Test #710 "Friends", answer 9

Martha is a fair weather friend. She is never there when I have a problem. If I call her to talk about my problems, she tells me that she is busy and hangs up quickly.

Correct answer: (b) fair weather friend
_________________________

I chose 'fair weather friend' which is correct,but still a got a question.Why the answer is 'fair weather friend' because I think it sounds like she is good,because fair weather is like good by me.But the following sentence tells that Martha don't care about her friend in her sorrows,so how she could be a 'fair weather friend'
Luby

Why the answer is 'fair weather friend' because I think it sounds like she...? #2 (permalink) Fri Dec 04, 2009 22:13 pm   Why the answer is 'fair weather friend' because I think it sounds like she...?

Luby, you can find the explanation for the term fair weather friend from the following explanation at the test.

Fair weather friend hence, means that Martha only likes to be with you when everything is fine and you donīt have a problem, i.e the weather is fine at yours but leaves you as soon as the weather changes, in order to go to another sunny place. Not caring about you. No pleasant behave, is it?
Foah

Location: next to Dortmund , Europe

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
When does an epidemic becomes a pandemic?Idiom: At face valueMeaning of "Our neighbor is at large right now"Must a word celebrity necessarily mean movie star or can it mean music star...?What does aid effort mean?befriended vs betrayedeasygoing vs user-friendlyWhy is banter not correct?What does locked in mean?'I'm going to park the car' vs 'I'm going to push the car'December is a month after November and is the twelveth of the year, right?Meaning of boorscowardice vs coward