but; only
however
directly
whereas
except

He saw the writing on the wall?

She was not going to go out on a limb for anyone anymore? | Why can't we say 'being vanished' in this sentence?
He saw the writing on the wall? #1 (permalink) Sun Dec 06, 2009 14:40 pm   He saw the writing on the wall?

He saw the ......... on the wall. Without a miracle, the business he had worked so hard to create would be broke within the next year.

(a) picture
(b) writing
(c) blotch
(d) molding

He saw the writing on the wall. Without a miracle, the business he had worked so hard to create would be broke within the next year.

Correct answer: (b) writing
_________________________

Could you explain the meaning of this utterance?

Luda
Luda from Minsk

He saw the writing on the wall? #2 (permalink) Sun Dec 06, 2009 18:36 pm   He saw the writing on the wall?

Hi Luda,

This means he saw the danger that was about to happen and that the business would lose all its money within the following year. 'Writing on the wall' is an expression suggesting a warning of something terrible happening and originates from the Christian Bible.

_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Why do we use "with an eye for"?turquoise?What does black tie affair mean?How do you call that word before verb in continuous tenses?needy vs. selflessWhat does 'in the buff' mean?What does 'forty winks' mean?When does an epidemic becomes a pandemic?Idiom: At face valueMeaning of "Our neighbor is at large right now"Must a word celebrity necessarily mean movie star or can it mean music star...?befriended vs betrayedeasygoing vs user-friendly