location; description of a location
suit
address
clearance
formula

Use 'in the United States and Canada' not 'in the United Stated and in Canada'?

What means adin in the definition of amok | Could we say "They understand well each other"?
Use 'in the United States and Canada' not 'in the United Stated and in Canada'? #1 (permalink) Mon Dec 21, 2009 13:22 pm   Use 'in the United States and Canada' not 'in the United Stated and in Canada'?

ESL/EFL Test #129 "Real Life: Transportation (2)", question 9

In the United States and in Canada, pedestrians always have the right-of-way. This means that if a pedestrian is crossing the road, a car must ......... to that person and let him or her pass before the driver is allowed to resume driving.

(a) give
(b) yield
(c) submit
(d) sell

ESL/EFL Test #129 "Real Life: Transportation (2)", answer 9

In the United States and in Canada, pedestrians always have the right-of-way. This means that if a pedestrian is crossing the road, a car must yield to that person and let him or her pass before the driver is allowed to resume driving.

Correct answer: (b) yield

_________________________

Could we use "in the United States and Canada" not "in the United Stated and in Canada"?

Why did we use yield instead of give?

Thanks for the incoming answers.

(please, correct me if I made any grammar mistakes)..
Watie

Location: Indonesia

Use 'in the United States and Canada' not 'in the United Stated and in Canada'? #2 (permalink) Mon Dec 21, 2009 14:36 pm   Use 'in the United States and Canada' not 'in the United Stated and in Canada'?

1-- Yes
2-- 'Yield' does not mean 'give'. 'Yield' means 'relinquish right-of-way'.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
display as a verb vs. display as a noun"that picks people up" instead of "that picks up people"?Is to pull around mean to carry or to overcome?Why did a lot of pedestrian walk across the street when the light turned green?The days of the week?What are dairy products?What are carrier and boat and aircraft?What does 'get up' mean?Meaning of 'shopping cart'meaning of "roll up our sleeves"What is a "fleet of ships"?Meaning of "branched out"Live at a place vs. live by a place