strictly; firmly
curtly
clearly
truly
sternly

"that picks people up" instead of "that picks up people"?

display as a verb vs. display as a noun | meaning of "roll up our sleeves"
"that picks people up" instead of "that picks up people"? #1 (permalink) Tue Dec 22, 2009 14:30 pm   "that picks people up" instead of "that picks up people"?

ESL/EFL Test #133 "Real Life: Vehicles and Transportation (1)", question 7

I am a smaller vehicle that picks up people and drives them around town. Everyone has to pay me in order to get a ride and I measure the distance with a metered device that calculates a cost per kilometer traveled. I'm usually found in larger cities and you can see my sign on my roof. I'm also called a cab. What am I? ..........

(a) A trailer
(b) A taxi
(c) A boat
(d) A train

ESL/EFL Test #133 "Real Life: Vehicles and Transportation (1)", answer 7

I am a smaller vehicle that picks up people and drives them around town. Everyone has to pay me in order to get a ride and I measure the distance with a metered device that calculates a cost per kilometer traveled. I'm usually found in larger cities and you can see my sign on my roof. I'm also called a cab. What am I? A taxi.

Correct answer: (b) A taxi
_________________________

Could we say "that picks people up" instead of "that picks up people"?

Would you mind telling me the difference between a metered device and a metering device. I am little bit confuse here as I hardly enough using "metered" and "metering" on the building sentences..(with example)

Thanks for the incoming explanations.
Watie

Location: Indonesia

"that picks people up" instead of "that picks up people"? #2 (permalink) Wed Dec 23, 2009 2:58 am   "that picks people up" instead of "that picks up people"?

Could we say "that picks people up" instead of "that picks up people"?-- Yes

Would you mind telling me the difference between a metered device and a metering device.- A metering device is a device for measuring; a metered device is a device that does something else, but it itself is being measured by an attached metering device.

_________________

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
the grass is greener on the other side?What does dresssing mean in connection with food?"I'll want to salad with that"? is it right?Could it be "Yes, do you have a pen and some paper(s)"?Is to pull around mean to carry or to overcome?Could we say "They understand well each other"?Use 'in the United States and Canada' not 'in the United Stated and in Canada'?Why did a lot of pedestrian walk across the street when the light turned green?The days of the week?What means adin in the definition of amokWhat are dairy products?tradušao da palavra SHY pleaseWhat is a "fleet of ships"?