Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

professional cook; head cook in a restaurant of hotel
ambiguity
chef
florist
knowledge
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does knock-off goods mean?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What are glyphs? | Phrasal verb: turn down
listening exercises
What does knock-off goods mean? #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 23, 2009 14:48 pm   What does knock-off goods mean?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #186 "Phrasal idioms with the verb 'knock'", question 5

The defendant pleaded guilty to providing a group of Russians with ......... goods.

(a) knock-off
(b) knock-on
(c) knock-over
(d) knock-up

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #186 "Phrasal idioms with the verb 'knock'", answer 5

The defendant pleaded guilty to providing a group of Russians with knock-off goods.

Correct answer: (a) knock-off

Your answer was: incorrect
The defendant pleaded guilty to providing a group of Russians with knock-over goods.

what means knock-off goods? many thanks in advance
StJordi
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

What does knock-off goods mean? #2 (permalink) Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:47 am   What does knock-off goods mean?

Copies of brand-name goods.

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
What does knock-off goods mean? #3 (permalink) Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:27 am   What does knock-off goods mean?

Dear Teacher,
Referring the test and answer below, I have looked for the word knock-off in my Collins Cobuild English Language Dictionary and found 'To knock st off = to steal it', and I wonder about the difference between the two explanation.
So could you please show us any further ?

ESL/EFL Test #186 "Phrasal idioms with the verb 'knock'", answer 5
The defendant pleaded guilty to providing a group of Russians with knock-off goods.
Correct answer: (a) knock-off
Meaning of 'knock-off' : Copies of brand-name goods.

Many thanks for your kind reply,
Nga Tran
Nga Tran
You can meet me at english-test.net

What does knock-off goods mean? #4 (permalink) Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:58 am   What does knock-off goods mean?

Hi,

To me 'knock off' means 'steal' and in the test sentence I would suggest 'stolen goods'.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What does knock-off goods mean? #5 (permalink) Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:39 am   What does knock-off goods mean?

And I continue to suggest that the test sentence meant name-brand copies, Nga Tran: Russians are more likely to want those than stolen goods. Guess we'll just have to ask Mark, the test writer, what he intended.

What does knock-off goods mean? #6 (permalink) Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:27 am   What does knock-off goods mean?

I would think of 'knock-off goods' as counterfeit goods (name brand copies) too, whereas if the phrase were 'knocked-off goods' I'd consider them to be stolen.
Language Coach

What does knock-off goods mean? #7 (permalink) Thu Nov 18, 2010 18:17 pm   What does knock-off goods mean?

Sounds great that defendant pleaded guilty to providing a group of Russians with knock-off goods.
Aprillove20

What does knock-off goods mean? #8 (permalink) Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:03 am   What does knock-off goods mean?

Hi teachers,

I still don't know what this sentence means. Please explain. Thank you.
Kietsjsu

What does knock-off goods mean? #9 (permalink) Tue Nov 01, 2011 5:46 am   What does knock-off goods mean?

The defendant pleaded guilty to providing a group of Russians with knock-off goods. = The criminal said the he gave some Russians many fake brand-name products (imitation Gucci bags, etc).

What does knock-off goods mean? #10 (permalink) Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:22 am   What does knock-off goods mean?

Dear Teachers,
Thank you for your explainations which comes right to my question. But I have a Russian friend who is studying English too. I just wonder if she would like to deal with that exercise and the like? I appollogy for being such sensitive (if at all).
Sincerely Your learner.
Nga Tran
Nga Tran
You can meet me at english-test.net

What does knock-off goods mean? #11 (permalink) Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:37 am   What does knock-off goods mean?

I'm not a teacher but why don't you give her a link to this exercise and let her decide if she likes it or not. Patently we can't tell for a fact if this is to her taste or not.
=)
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What are glyphs? | Phrasal verb: turn down
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Why does Alice (in Wonderland) say so?what is "i'd"how to understand the word of plain?Quite a few employees?why" what" not "thatstingy and miserlynow he's on skid row.turned upside down with turmoilWhat does alike mean?Meaning of continentsPhrase: Just a minute, you have just broken my case.Meaning of "gathered a bundle of"Meaning of internal accounting