Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

irregular; fitful; occasional; infrequent
outdoor
sporadic
mental
reverse
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

decay vs. rot

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
'member of the gym' vs 'member by the gym' | Why did Timothy draw a picture for his mother?
listening exercises
decay vs. rot #1 (permalink) Mon Dec 28, 2009 23:33 pm   decay vs. rot

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #121 "Real Life: Grocery Stores (1)", question 10

The term "non-........." refers to food products that do not have to be refrigerated because these foods are not easily susceptible to decay or rot such as rice, cereals and canned vegetables.

(a) perishable
(b) personal
(c) parental
(d) proprietary

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #121 "Real Life: Grocery Stores (1)", answer 10

The term "non-perishable" refers to food products that do not have to be refrigerated because these foods are not easily susceptible to decay or rot such as rice, cereals and canned vegetables.

Correct answer: (a) perishable

Your answer was: correct

Hi Teachers

Please kindly explain the difference between 'decay' and 'rot' and let me know if these sentences are natural:

1. Indulgence will rot/decay your integrity.
2. The decaying food was not yet rotten.
3. The rotting food was not yet completely decayed.
4. The suppressive regime was rotten to the core.
5. The suppressive regime was extremely decayed.

Thanks indeed
Ali
Aliraf62
You can meet me at english-test.net

decay vs. rot #2 (permalink) Tue Dec 29, 2009 14:38 pm   decay vs. rot

Hi Ali,

1. Indulgence will rot/decay your integrity. I would suggest 'ruin' here.
2. The decaying food was not yet rotten. This just about works.
3. The rotting food was not yet completely decayed. I would say the process is first 'decay' and then 'rot'.
4. The suppressive regime was rotten to the core. This would be an acceptable use.
5. The suppressive regime was extremely decayed This doesn't work.

Both 'rot' and 'decay' suggest that something is going through a process of breaking up or deteriorating. I would suggest that 'decay' is the first step in this process and then there follows 'rot'. Generally 'rot' and 'rotten' can be used both literally and figuratively. 'Decay' is more often used literally.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
'member of the gym' vs 'member by the gym' | Why did Timothy draw a picture for his mother?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Why does the word 'advices' not exist?What is your word for 'fun'?Psychiatrist vs psychologist vs psychotherapist vs psychoanalyst?Sentence: Sunglasses protect your eyes against the sun's (direct) harsh blaze...Can we use Font size in this sentence or is it too technical..."Earlier XYZ&Co." or "Formerly XYZ&Co."What is the difference between before and in front of?Difference between snowflakes, hailstones and icicles?Warmest season vs. hottest seasonWhy 'death and taxes'? Would like to know the origin of the phrase.Both of my parents vs. Lots of my parentsMeaning of "between you and me"Swear vs. admit