to dispute; to claim; to give reasons
argue
abolish
embrace
overcome

see + infinitive vs. see + gerund

fully vs. completely | wrinkles vs. twists
see + infinitive vs. see + gerund #1 (permalink) Wed Dec 30, 2009 15:15 pm   see + infinitive vs. see + gerund

ESL/EFL Test #128 "Real Life: Transportation (1)", question 5

While walking up and down the streets, Sally saw a man park his car in the underground parking ......... near a big department store.

(a) lot
(b) booth
(c) crossing

ESL/EFL Test #128 "Real Life: Transportation (1)", answer 5

While walking up and down the streets, Sally saw a man park his car in the underground parking lot near a big department store.

Correct answer: (a) lot

_________________________

Hi Teachers

I'd be obliged if you could help me make out the distinction between these two sentences (or the following examples):

a. While walking up and down the streets, Sally saw a man park his car.

b. While walking up and down the streets, Sally saw a man parking his car.

Under which topic can I find the grammatical explanation to this issue?
other examples:
c. He saw a bomb plummeting/plummet onto the city. (It probably happened in less than a second)

d. He saw/watched the feather descend/descending onto the floor. (do we use descending if it were only for a short glance and it caught his eyes for a second?)

I'm extremely grateful for all your clear and concise answers.

Best regards
Ali
Aliraf62

Location: Sweden

see + infinitive vs. see + gerund #2 (permalink) Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:23 am   see + infinitive vs. see + gerund

Hi Ali,

The choice between the infinitive and the 'ing' form after these verbs refers to the nature of the action. In other words 'saw him park' suggests that she saw the action of parking completed but 'saw him parking' means that she saw the process of parking and didn't see when he had finished the parking.

_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Fleeing the countryIs she bringing you down?meaning of cigarette paperWhat does 'take the heat' mean?For no other reason?Why did it use 'go' instead of 'went'?The average game developer's compensation is around 100 000 bucks...aggressive vs argumentativeI wonder where are the questions of Irregular Verbs Test (1)?I paid for the shoes alreadyWhat does to prey on mean?Why can't we say 'Geraniums been growing here'?basketball tryout?