Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

region; district; zone; area; domain
significance
influence
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

allusion vs. illusion

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
9, 000 metres above Dover | Why we can't use "thankfulness" or "gratefulness" here?
listening exercises
allusion vs. illusion #1 (permalink) Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:21 am   allusion vs. illusion

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #219 "Confusing Words test (2)", question 1

Kevin's dream of creating a perfect world is only an ......... because there is no such thing as a perfect world.

(a) allusion
(b) illusion
(c) allusions
(d) illusions

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #219 "Confusing Words test (2)", answer 1

Kevin's dream of creating a perfect world is only an illusion because there is no such thing as a perfect world.

Correct answer: (b) illusion

differences

kirha
kirha

allusion vs. illusion #2 (permalink) Mon Aug 09, 2010 20:58 pm   allusion vs. illusion

Although both words sound and look quite similar they are very different in meaning.
Allusion: a hint or intimation
Illusion: a false impression of reality; misconception

TOEIC listening, photographs: Boats on the beach
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
allusion vs. illusion #3 (permalink) Fri Dec 16, 2011 15:46 pm   allusion vs. illusion

why not: 'such a thing' instead of 'such thing'?
what is the difference between them?

Thank You
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

allusion vs. illusion #4 (permalink) Sun Dec 18, 2011 15:24 pm   allusion vs. illusion

Hi Saneta,

You would have to use 'such' either in the singular as in: 'such a thing' or with no article in the plural 'such things'.

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

allusion vs. illusion #5 (permalink) Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:45 am   allusion vs. illusion

Saneta wrote:
why not: 'such a thing' instead of 'such thing'?
what is the difference between them?

Thank You
Hi Saneta,

Actually, the difference is that the word 'no' immediately precedes 'such' in the test sentence.
You cannot say 'There is no such a thing as a perfect world'.
I suppose you might say the word 'no' acts as a sort of negative determiner and basically means 'not a'. Thus, the word 'a' is not needed. You can say this:
- There is no such thing as a perfect world.

The phrase 'no such thing' is a very commonly used collocation.

For a sentence in which the verb is negated (i.e. used with 'not'), it would also be common to use 'any', and in this case, the word 'any' would also precede 'such'.
- There isn't any such thing as a perfect world.

When asking a question about whether something exists, you could use either of these, for example:
- Is there such a thing?
- Is there any such thing?

* Note that 'a' is used after 'such', but 'any' is used before 'such' in the sentences above.

If you want to use an affirmative sentence/clause, then 'such a' can be used this way, for example:
- I have indeed seen such a thing before, but not very often.

Finally, if you use the adverb of frequency 'never', you would use either 'such a thing' or 'such things' like this:
- I have never seen such a thing. (a thing like that)
- I have never seen such things. (things like that)

Hope that helps.

9, 000 metres above Dover | Why we can't use "thankfulness" or "gratefulness" here?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
to see how can we stem this tide of export...some major and minor wars as wellif a sentence isThe meaning of a sentences?What is a plumbing leak?How can I communicate in English?suffer through vs. suffer fromWhat is 'qualitative market research'?realised vs. believed'In which way' instead of in 'what way'Meaning of exudeMeaning of "furnished"Meaning of smokescrean