to try to; to assay
exist
attempt
publicize
provision

adjust vs. adapt

What does this phrasal verb mean: 'Take after'? | What does 'this business really suits me' mean?
adjust vs. adapt #1 (permalink) Sat Jan 02, 2010 21:44 pm   adjust vs. adapt

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #107 "Synonyms for fit and adapt", question 6

We bought a new piano stool for our son, but it turned out to be too high for him and needs to be ..........

(a) fitted
(b) adjusted
(c) adapted
(d) accommodated

Synonym Search, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #107 "Synonyms for fit and adapt", answer 6

We bought a new piano stool for our son, but it turned out to be too high for him and needs to be adjusted.

Correct answer: (b) adjusted

We bought a new piano stool for our son, but it turned out to be too high for him and needs to be adapted.
_________________________

Why is it "adjust" not "adapt"?
Vunny

adjust vs. adapt #2 (permalink) Sun Jan 03, 2010 9:52 am   adjust vs. adapt

Here, 'adjust' is a normal operation on a piano stool. 'Adapt' would probably require a wood saw and a screwdriver.
_________________

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
'the hard shorts the CEO' vs 'the big shorts the CEO'what is the expression of hot off the press?What does platypus mean?What is a platypuse?What is the meaning of style?Tortoise and the Hare?Found on the hands?Exposed to the elementslike vs. unliketake a turn, exit or a rampWhat does 'brought over' mean?What is the meaning of lambs?Expression "The pasta was kind of bland"