parallelogram
mean
identification
rectangle
basis

Phrasal verb: walk off

Get vs. become | Take it back vs. give it back
Phrasal verb: walk off #1 (permalink) Sun Oct 30, 2005 22:55 pm   Phrasal verb: walk off

Test No. incompl/inter-101 "Phrasal Verb: Walk", question 4

He came into the room, shouted at everybody and then left the room walking ......... in a really bad temper.

(a) down
(b) off
(c) over
(d) to

Test No. incompl/inter-101 "Phrasal Verb: Walk", answer 4

He came into the room, shouted at everybody and then left the room walking off in a really bad temper.

Correct answer: (b) off

He came into the room, shouted at everybody and then left the room walking over in a really bad temper.
_________________________

HI :)
can you just explain to me what does it mean when i say walk over,walk off,walk by and walked about??
sendiony

Phrasal verb: walk off #2 (permalink) Mon Oct 31, 2005 0:32 am   Phrasal verb: walk off

walk over - to walk over someone means to gain an easy victory over or to treat badly (informal language)

walk off means to leave a place because you are angry or dissatisfied

walk about means as much as walk with no particular goal("she walked about in the park")

I'm not sure about the meaning of "to walk by" so I leave this for the professional speakers here :)
Stefanie

Location: Germany

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Walkby #3 (permalink) Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:38 am   Walkby

Hi Stefanie,

Thanks for giving the explanations. Walk by means not stop but continue to walk along and so ignore what is happening. For example if you see someone has had an accident and you don't stop to offer help, you are said to walk by.

_________________

Phrasal verb: turn intoPhrasal verb: take upThere's a car approachingOn time vs. in timeIdiom: lose your headShout vs. chantNext time you come to my housePassive constructionWhat's the difference between "that" and "which"?Effect vs. affectResource vs. resortMoney order vs. postal orderThe same grammar as yours