delivery; dispatch; conveyance
consignment
index
significance
trustee

What does set the world on fire mean?

Why not unti (till)? | What are billboards?
What does set the world on fire mean? #1 (permalink) Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:30 am   What does set the world on fire mean?

ESL/EFL Test #714 "World-Related Phrases (1)", question 4

Those recent vampire-inspired books have ......... the world on fire! Everyone is talking about the stories and the characters.

(a) turned
(b) set
(c) put
(d) pushed

ESL/EFL Test #714 "World-Related Phrases (1)", answer 4

Those recent vampire-inspired books have set the world on fire! Everyone is talking about the stories and the characters.

Correct answer: (b) set
_________________________

What does set the world on fire mean?

Druk
Druk

What does set the world on fire mean? #2 (permalink) Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:35 am   What does set the world on fire mean?

Accomplish important/dramatic/famous feats.
_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
What does set the world on fire mean? #3 (permalink) Fri Jan 08, 2010 16:39 pm   What does set the world on fire mean?

set the world on fire
Fig. to do exciting things that bring fame and glory. (Frequently with the negative.) I'm not very ambitious. I don't want to set the world on fire. You don't have to set the world on fire. Just do a good job.
See also: fire, set, world

McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.
not set the world on fire
to not be very exciting or successful The restaurant offers a decent menu, but it wouldn't set the world on fire.
See also: fire, set, world

Cambridge Idioms Dictionary, 2nd ed. Copyright Cambridge University Press 2006. Reproduced with permission.
set the world on fire
to be very exciting or successful The new video game format set the world on fire with huge sales at Christmas.
See also: fire, set, world

Cambridge Dictionary of American Idioms Copyright Cambridge University Press 2006. Reproduced with permission.
Visame

current assets vs. fixed assetslook vs. watchSo tired (not 'much tired')What is the largest body of water surrounded by land?How do you put 50 books in 9 shelfs in odd number with no shelf empty?What does furry mean?"bird of a different color" vs "bird of the same feathers"'the hard shorts the CEO' vs 'the big shorts the CEO'what is the expression of hot off the press?What is the meaning of lambs?What is the meaning of gross pay?What who does high gear mean?There should be spaces between the following words: restarting and union