growth; expansion; addition; enlargement; escalation
coin
rehearsal
increase
speed

fully vs. completely

Why can't we say 'Geraniums been growing here'? | see + infinitive vs. see + gerund
fully vs. completely #1 (permalink) Sun Jan 10, 2010 14:28 pm   fully vs. completely

ESL/EFL Test #44 "Scandal", question 10

The reporter had got it ......... wrong because he found his ticket and he wasn't 'fined', he was simply 'fine'.

(a) fully
(b) fairly
(c) complete
(d) completely

ESL/EFL Test #44 "Scandal", answer 10

The reporter had got it completely wrong because he found his ticket and he wasn't 'fined', he was simply 'fine'.

Correct answer: (d) completely

The reporter had got it fully wrong because he found his ticket and he wasn't 'fined', he was simply 'fine'.
_________________________

Reading my dictionaries, I fail to understand the difference beetwen fully and completely.
Could you give me examples ?
_Philippe

fully vs. completely #2 (permalink) Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:19 am   fully vs. completely

Hi Philippe,

'Fully' suggests completed to the last detail as in: You must fully understand how this machine works before you can use it. 'Complexity' is often used for emphasis and is similar to 'utterly' 'absolutely' and the expression 'completely wrong' suggests that you couldn't have got it more wrong.

_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Fleeing the countrymeaning of cigarette paperWhat does 'take the heat' mean?For no other reason?Why did it use 'go' instead of 'went'?The average game developer's compensation is around 100 000 bucks...aggressive vs argumentativeI wonder where are the questions of Irregular Verbs Test (1)?I paid for the shoes alreadyWhat does to prey on mean?wrinkles vs. twistsbasketball tryout?Difference between advice and suggestion?