to involve; to affect; to worry; to interest; to relate to
pattern
prove
concern
insert

Gerund and past participle

In that case, which is the best to use? Actual, factual or... | What the word "Adjective" means?
Gerund and past participle #1 (permalink) Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:00 am   Gerund and past participle

Test No. incompl/elem-13 "Grammar Questions", question 10

Which of these is a past participle? It is ..........

(a) believing
(b) believed
(c) believes
(d) belief

Test No. incompl/elem-13 "Grammar Questions", answer 10

Which of these is a past participle? It is believed.

Correct answer: (b) believed
_________________________

I don't now gurunding, past participle
Polona

Gerund/past participle #2 (permalink) Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:59 am   Gerund/past participle

Hi Polona,

The gerund is sometimes called a verbal noun because it's like a verb and a noun. Here is an example:

Swimming
is good for you.

The past participle is one of the main parts of a verb:

I want to believe (infinitive) you.

He believes (Present Simple)you.

He believed (Past Simple) you.

He has believed (past participle) you.

_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
Gerund and past participle #3 (permalink) Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:44 am   Gerund and past participle

sorry I can't completely understand the meaning of ''Participle'' Could you please give more explanation?
Maria
Maia K

Location: Beijing, China

Gerund and past participle #4 (permalink) Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:29 am   Gerund and past participle

Hi Maria,

Most verbs have two participles - present and past. The present participle is used to make a continuous tense and the past participle is used to make perfect tenses.

In this sentence you can see the present continuous: Many people are crossing the bridge today. 'Crossing' is the present participle.

In this sentence you can see the present perfect tense: Many people have crossed the bridge today. 'Crossed' is the past participle.

_________________

What does 'trustworthy' mean?run after is to chaseMay I use anything in positive sentence?What is table top mountain?Where is Bahamas?look through vs look overCome over vs come alongAre there the same; ING form and present continuous tense?then I pick the word "local " to complete it like newspaperI think I can use either "Use or employ"a computer monitor vs a computer patternCan "time" be an option besides "chance" here?What is the difference between "chance" and "opportunity"?