wager; bet; investment; share
stake
degree
alternative
instruction

Is correct to say: Nobody should give up on her dreams?

Anyone should take her vacation through Rocky Mountains? | Meaning of 'TO LISTEN TO' and 'TO LISTEN IN'
Is correct to say: Nobody should give up on her dreams? #1 (permalink) Thu Jan 14, 2010 14:30 pm   Is correct to say: Nobody should give up on her dreams?

ESL/EFL Test #703 "Pronoun Agreement (1)", question 3

Nobody should ever give up on ......... dreams.

(a) their
(b) our
(c) his/her

ESL/EFL Test #703 "Pronoun Agreement (1)", answer 3

Nobody should ever give up on his/her dreams.

Correct answer: (c) his/her

Nobody should ever give up on their dreams.
_________________________

So you're saying it is correct to say: Nobody should give up on her dreams?
VioletaNicoleta

Is correct to say: Nobody should give up on her dreams? #2 (permalink) Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:19 am   Is correct to say: Nobody should give up on her dreams?

I'm afraid that the test writer thinks so. Unfortunately, it is no longer true. 'Their' is an acceptable singular pronoun without gender bias in all but the most formal composition, which this is not.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Is correct to say: Nobody should give up on her dreams? #3 (permalink) Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:32 am   Is correct to say: Nobody should give up on her dreams?

Hi VioletaNicoleta,

This seems to be to me a feminist answer to the test. You can just about imagine this being said to an audience of women only. Aside from that and also to avoid this his/her absurdity, I agree with Charles that 'their' is the acceptable choice.

_________________

Goods as a noun?me vs. myselfneed some help in finding useful textbookshave or must?Meaning of "Breathe one's last"Seriously, shouldn't it be THEIR for everybody, anybody, nobody?double past tense?What does 'roll' mean?What does covered mean?What are interest rates?Future tense?look vs. watchSo tired (not 'much tired')