Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to establish; to found; to set up; to place on
base
veil
clerk
prejudice
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Is it possible to say "We live by the city centre"

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
When do we use "after" and when "until"? | That versus What
listening exercises
Is it possible to say "We live by the city centre" #1 (permalink) Sat Nov 05, 2005 12:32 pm   Is it possible to say "We live by the city centre"

The correct answer in "I live ... the city centre" is "near" obviously. But is it possible to say "I Live by the city centre"?
vanesa

By #2 (permalink) Sat Nov 05, 2005 13:07 pm   By

Hi Vanesa,

By as a preposition of place is usually associated with nouns of a general nature rather than something like city centre, which is quite precise. So you would say: by the river/by the sea, where the exact location is not given.

Hope this helps

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Is it possible to say "We live by the city centre" #3 (permalink) Sun Nov 06, 2005 17:01 pm   Is it possible to say "We live by the city centre"

Hi Alan!

Thank you very much for your quick reply. It has been of great help! Thank you again!!
vanesa

Is it possible to say "We live by the city centre" #4 (permalink) Mon Nov 18, 2013 20:48 pm   Is it possible to say "We live by the city centre"

then if NEAR is the correct answer, please update page 1612 of english-grammar-tests.pdf, it is stating that BY is the correct answer.
Xsimio
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

When do we use "after" and when "until"? | That versus What
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Test incompl/elem-293, Question 3finding vs. findstraveling vs. travellingUnderstandin textagriculture and developmentmy end of the bargainmade up of salt waterMost children do nothing but playWhat does pass for her sister mean?Why can't soldiers desert their posts?What does punch-drunk mean?Meaning of "acting up"Difference between 'quite' and 'give up'