Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

license; authorization
least
permit
suitcase
glossary
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

A feather in one's cap?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Test incompl/inter-346, User's Answer 3 | Does fat chance mean that the odds are poor that it will happen
listening exercises
A feather in one's cap? #1 (permalink) Tue Feb 02, 2010 2:27 am   A feather in one's cap?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #347 "English Slang Idioms (68)", question 1

"I guess the fat has hit the ......... in the Democrats' campaign. It turns out that two of their candidates have been arrested for stock fraud. They are going to have a hard time overcoming that!" Miller said to Calvin.

(a) ground
(b) pan
(c) belly
(d) fire

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #347 "English Slang Idioms (68)", answer 1

"I guess the fat has hit the fire in the Democrats' campaign. It turns out that two of their candidates have been arrested for stock fraud. They are going to have a hard time overcoming that!" Miller said to Calvin.

Correct answer: (d) fire

what is the correct idiom for feather in my cap
Stupy

A feather in one's cap? #2 (permalink) Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:54 am   A feather in one's cap?

A feather in one's cap = a merit point; a praiseworthy accomplishment; distinction; honor

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
A feather in one's cap? #3 (permalink) Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:03 am   A feather in one's cap?

Awesome!
Puppet
I'm here quite often ;-)

A feather in one's cap? #4 (permalink) Sat Sep 25, 2010 13:13 pm   A feather in one's cap?

Does to hit the fire mean make something public which is classified?
Nenad11
I'm here quite often ;-)

A feather in one's cap? #5 (permalink) Sat Sep 25, 2010 13:15 pm   A feather in one's cap?

'The fat has hit the fire' = the trouble has started/intensified

Test incompl/inter-346, User's Answer 3 | Does fat chance mean that the odds are poor that it will happen
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Test incompl/inter-348, User's Answer 4Test incompl/inter-347, User's Answer 6Test incompl/inter-347, User's Answer 4Does to be fat cat mean to be one of important persons?Does to come on fast and furious mean that one was fast and furious?Does famoous last words mean that the best words ensue after the match has finishTest incompl/inter-346, User's Answer 5Test incompl/inter-346, User's Answer 4go berserk = become/get/go angry, frenzied, ragingdoubting thomasesI'm trying to pay down my car loanTest incompl/advan-528, Question 1What is a lead foot?