Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

something or someone that does not match up to standards; object of lower quality; outcast
reject
divide
scanner
doubt
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

annulled vs. cancelled

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
When do we use much and when do we use many? | Explanation of this dialogue
listening exercises
annulled vs. cancelled #1 (permalink) Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:01 pm   annulled vs. cancelled

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #151 "Traveling Down Under: How can I immigrate to Australia?", question 9

Tourists involved in illegal activities such as drug trafficking and prostitution may have their visas ......... permanently and be banned from entering Australia at any time in the future.

(a) cancelled
(b) called off
(c) abandoned
(d) annulled

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #151 "Traveling Down Under: How can I immigrate to Australia?", answer 9

Tourists involved in illegal activities such as drug trafficking and prostitution may have their visas cancelled permanently and be banned from entering Australia at any time in the future.

Correct answer: (a) cancelled

Your answer was: incorrect
Tourists involved in illegal activities such as drug trafficking and prostitution may have their visas annulled permanently and be banned from entering Australia at any time in the future.

Why annulled is incorrect?What is the difference between annulled and cancelled?Best wishes,Oinas.
Oinas
You can meet me at english-test.net

annulled vs. cancelled #2 (permalink) Tue Feb 02, 2010 12:17 pm   annulled vs. cancelled

annulled and cancelled

Cancelled means that it may be possible to renew the passport, or have it returned for further use.

Annulled usually refers to a legal contract, like a marriage being annulled.All ties are permanently severed.

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
annulled vs. cancelled #3 (permalink) Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:05 am   annulled vs. cancelled

Good morning Mr, Kitos.

Does 'call off' mean the same as 'to end something'? (to end visa).
Watie
I'm here quite often ;-)

annulled vs. cancelled #4 (permalink) Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:27 pm   annulled vs. cancelled

what is the difference between cancelled and called off + annulled?

many thanks
Saneta
I'm a Communicator ;-)

annulled vs. cancelled #5 (permalink) Wed Feb 06, 2013 16:00 pm   annulled vs. cancelled

Kitosdad wrote:
annulled and cancelled

Cancelled means that it may be possible to renew the passport, or have it returned for further use.

Annulled usually refers to a legal contract, like a marriage being annulled.All ties are permanently severed.
Will revoke and rescind also mean similar to annulled? Will their usage be different from annul
Ajay Nahta
I'm here quite often ;-)

When do we use much and when do we use many? | Explanation of this dialogue
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Obviously a computer can take all the hard work out of processingThat is definitely in our ballparkIn my book, that is the kind of behavior that deserves a reward.Come with me? What does that mean?redundant vs. unneededExpression "Jump all over"Meaning of "break the handle"Turn in vs. turn onSentence: Bill straightened up the office, pretending not to listen Bob's end...Difficult vs problemStrengths and weaknessesmeaning of listWhat is is the difference between 'free of' and 'free from'?