Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to instruct; to teach; to scold; to reprove; to rebuke
browse
merge
experience
lesson
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of 'the chickens come home to roost'

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Difference between care and attention | No, I have no idea
listening exercises
Meaning of 'the chickens come home to roost' #1 (permalink) Sat Feb 06, 2010 17:59 pm   Meaning of 'the chickens come home to roost'

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #449 "English Slang Idioms (188)", question 6

"I am glad to see the two of you. It is nice when your offspring comes home to .........," Gladice told her two sons Rick and Bill.

(a) hide
(b) fix
(c) plan
(d) roost

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #449 "English Slang Idioms (188)", answer 6

"I am glad to see the two of you. It is nice when your offspring comes home to roost," Gladice told her two sons Rick and Bill.

Correct answer: (d) roost

Your answer was: incorrect
"I am glad to see the two of you. It is nice when your offspring comes home to hide," Gladice told her two sons Rick and Bill.

Please culd you explain the sentence.
I have found the following explanation :
When a person pays dearly for something bad he or she did in the past, the chickens come home to roost.
But that doesn't make sense
_Philippe
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Meaning of 'the chickens come home to roost' #2 (permalink) Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:39 am   Meaning of 'the chickens come home to roost'

'the chickens come home to roost' = you have to face the consequences of your mistakes or bad deeds.

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Difference between care and attention | No, I have no idea
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Why might advertising have an impact many years after it appears?sort into vs. fall intooverpass vs. intersectionwith whom (or) whom ... withDifference between yet and already? Why is "yet" not appropriate here?Meaning of 'Blow up'the difference between in, on and atSentence: Who was the woman I saw you laughing with yesterday?Meaning of parrotsWe're going right after work.I'm going to a movie vs. I'm going to watch a moviequiet instead of rangeJacob Freeman, a bank teller was recently evaluated by his superior...