Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

license; authorization
least
permit
suitcase
glossary
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Expression: Eat away on

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of 'Blow up' | It could be 'the charger is disconnected from the phone'?
listening exercises
Expression: Eat away on #1 (permalink) Sun Feb 07, 2010 21:16 pm   Expression: Eat away on

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #462 "English Slang Idioms (204)", question 8

"I didn't think that I would be bothered by your brother's rude comments but I am. His comments have been ......... away on me ever since we saw him last. I am going to have to say something to him," Luke said to Rachel.

(a) washing
(b) beating
(c) scrubbing
(d) eating

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #462 "English Slang Idioms (204)", answer 8

"I didn't think that I would be bothered by your brother's rude comments but I am. His comments have been eating away on me ever since we saw him last. I am going to have to say something to him," Luke said to Rachel.

Correct answer: (d) eating

Your answer was: incorrect
"I didn't think that I would be bothered by your brother's rude comments but I am. His comments have been scrubbing away on me ever since we saw him last. I am going to have to say something to him," Luke said to Rachel.

Hello,
I can't find anywhere eat away on.
The dictionaries where I looked up only know eat away at.
BYU/BNC http://corpus.byu.edu/bnc/ doesn't list eat away on either.
Is it a rare construction ?
_Philippe
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Expression: Eat away on #2 (permalink) Mon Feb 08, 2010 14:14 pm   Expression: Eat away on

Not rare. 'Eat away at/on' are synonymous.

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Expression: Eat away on #3 (permalink) Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:29 pm   Expression: Eat away on

'what's eating you?' I hear it from american movies. It's popular, though.

Like What's bothering you?
Puppet
I'm here quite often ;-)

Meaning of 'Blow up' | It could be 'the charger is disconnected from the phone'?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
newborn vs toddlerpuppies vs cubsWhen i breathe with my mouth and lungs i take air into my lungs and inhale...Define export potential'A few' for countable nouns.On the horizon vs under the horizon.simple past followed by simple presentAbout feline also meaning of this word Is there any animal belongs to?Why might advertising have an impact many years after it appears?sort into vs. fall intooverpass vs. intersectionwith whom (or) whom ... withDifference between yet and already? Why is "yet" not appropriate here?