pedantic; cautious concerning minute details; scrupulous
meticulous
crowded
comforting
pretentious

What does in one fell swoop mean?

Difference among alliances, mergers, acqusitions and consoloidations | "his pride was getting the best of him"
What does in one fell swoop mean? #1 (permalink) Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:20 am   What does in one fell swoop mean?

Tommy was pleased with the outcome of the chess game he had played with his next-door neighbor. He set a nice trap for his opponent and in one ......... swoop, he stole his opponent's queen, both rooks and a knight. After that, it did not take much time to end the game.

(a) grand
(b) fell
(c) large
(d) far-reaching

Tommy was pleased with the outcome of the chess game he had played with his next-door neighbor. He set a nice trap for his opponent and in one fell swoop, he stole his opponent's queen, both rooks and a knight. After that, it did not take much time to end the game.

Correct answer: (b) fell
_________________________

what is the answer
Stupy

What does in one fell swoop mean? #2 (permalink) Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:03 am   What does in one fell swoop mean?

You are correct. The answer is (b) fell.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What does 'my heart sank' mean?nevermindI here vs. I hear"in good stead"What is the meaning of bear comparison?two times now?Difference between a securitisation company and reconstruction companyWhy it sounds very likely also?Can yoy explain me 'you guys' with other words?Usage of "the letter box made up"Why do vampire bats like human blood?Usage of the word "thru""haul it off"