Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to move quickly; to pass quickly
fleet
weigh
target
emulate
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Meaning of "Striking distance"

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does breed mean? | "get hoisted on your petard"
listening exercises
Meaning of "Striking distance" #1 (permalink) Wed Feb 24, 2010 15:02 pm   Meaning of "Striking distance"

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #811 "Lions: Vocabulary Practice (3)", question 10

When lionesses hunt together, they usually encircle their prey and creep up together until they get within a suitable striking ..........

(a) quarry
(b) dig
(c) hunter
(d) distance

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #811 "Lions: Vocabulary Practice (3)", answer 10

When lionesses hunt together, they usually encircle their prey and creep up together until they get within a suitable striking distance.

Correct answer: (d) distance

Your answer was: incorrect
When lionesses hunt together, they usually encircle their prey and creep up together until they get within a suitable striking hunter.

what is the meanning distance in this context?

Dixi
Dixi

Meaning of "Striking distance" #2 (permalink) Wed Feb 24, 2010 15:49 pm   Meaning of "Striking distance"

Hello,
"Striking distance" is the distance that it takes to obtain or reach something such as a goal or, in this case, an unsuspecting victim.
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "Striking distance" #3 (permalink) Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:56 am   Meaning of "Striking distance"

Hi Linda,

You don't mind if i ask you to explain it some more?

What's the addition that 'striking' could give if we put it altogether with the the word of 'distance'?
Puppet
I'm here quite often ;-)

Meaning of "Striking distance" #4 (permalink) Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:55 am   Meaning of "Striking distance"

It shows the relevance of the distance to the activity: striking distance-- the distance within which one can strike; spitting distance-- the distance within which one can spit; shouting distance-- the distance within which one's shout can be heard; etc.

Meaning of "Striking distance" #5 (permalink) Fri Feb 26, 2010 15:27 pm   Meaning of "Striking distance"

Mr. Micawber, I do appreciate that to you.

I got the picture so well.
Puppet
I'm here quite often ;-)

What does breed mean? | "get hoisted on your petard"
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
O, Oh, Ah, Huh...'Lowdown' vs 'Low down'What is downsizing means?"put the bite on me"What does this mean: Sing for my supper?pull up stake vs. pull up stakesWhy is the elphant heavy?dominated vs. competedWhat comes after single, double, triple?in 'behavior that can' that is redundantWhat does 'my heart sank' mean?nevermind"dry behind the ears"