Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

motivating; stimulating; encouraging; provoking; inhaling
inspiring
quiet
exclusively
immediate
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does to prey on mean?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
I wonder where are the questions of Irregular Verbs Test (1)? | Why can't we say 'Geraniums been growing here'?
listening exercises
What does to prey on mean? #1 (permalink) Thu Feb 25, 2010 14:44 pm   What does to prey on mean?

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #574 "English Slang Idioms (316)", question 6

"I don't like my mom's new boyfriend. She likes him but I think he is just ......... on her for her money. He makes a third of what she makes and regularly asks her to buy him stuff," Maxine told.

(a) pushes
(b) packs
(c) prances
(d) preys

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #574 "English Slang Idioms (316)", answer 6

"I don't like my mom's new boyfriend. She likes him but I think he is just preys on her for her money. He makes a third of what she makes and regularly asks her to buy him stuff," Maxine told.

Correct answer: (d) preys

Your answer was: correct

Hello,
I understand what to prey on means.
But should it not be preying ?
Thanks for the explanation
_Philippe
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

What does to prey on mean? #2 (permalink) Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:50 am   What does to prey on mean?

Hi Philippe, many thanks for pointing this out. We've made the change so now the sentence reads '.... he is just preying on her for money.'

TOEFL listening lectures: Which country was not an important cotton grower in the 19th century?
Torsten
Learning Coach
Torsten Daerr

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
I wonder where are the questions of Irregular Verbs Test (1)? | Why can't we say 'Geraniums been growing here'?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
meaning of cigarette paperWhat does 'take the heat' mean?For no other reason?What's the difference between see and look and watch?Why did it use 'go' instead of 'went'?The average game developer's compensation is around 100 000 bucks...aggressive vs argumentativeI paid for the shoes alreadyfully vs. completelysee + infinitive vs. see + gerundwrinkles vs. twistsbasketball tryout?Difference between advice and suggestion?