custody; property; asset; control; ownership
forward
implication
tax
possession

pull up stake vs. pull up stakes

Why is the elphant heavy? | What does this mean: Sing for my supper?
pull up stake vs. pull up stakes #1 (permalink) Fri Feb 26, 2010 19:37 pm   pull up stake vs. pull up stakes

"My father was in the Air Force so every time I got used to a place or a school, we were pulled up ......... and moved away to a new town. I got to see a lot of places in the world but it was hard not living anywhere for more than a year or two," Bill told Jan.

(a) stick
(b) stake
(c) stead
(d) stack

"My father was in the Air Force so every time I got used to a place or a school, we were pulled up stake and moved away to a new town. I got to see a lot of places in the world but it was hard not living anywhere for more than a year or two," Bill told Jan.

Correct answer: (b) stake

"My father was in the Air Force so every time I got used to a place or a school, we were pulled up stick and moved away to a new town. I got to see a lot of places in the world but it was hard not living anywhere for more than a year or two," Bill told Jan.
_________________________

My dictionaries only know pull up stakes and not stake.
Is stake also correct ?
_Philippe

pull up stake vs. pull up stakes #2 (permalink) Fri Feb 26, 2010 20:13 pm   pull up stake vs. pull up stakes

It should be stakes.

This saying refers to tearing down an encampment. Tents were secured to the ground with stakes. To pull up stakes meant you were permanently dismantling your camp and moving on to another location.
_________________
There's no such thing as an exception to the rule...

My blog: http://calleteach.wordpress.com
OxfordBlues

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
pull up stake vs. pull up stakes #3 (permalink) Fri Feb 26, 2010 20:21 pm   pull up stake vs. pull up stakes

Many thanks for pointing this out. I've made the change and it'll go online with our next database update.

TOEIC short conversations: At the conference registration table

'The largest jellyfish' vs 'The fastest jellyfish'O, Oh, Ah, Huh...'Lowdown' vs 'Low down'What is downsizing means?"put the bite on me"What does breed mean?dominated vs. competedWhat comes after single, double, triple?Meaning of "Striking distance"in 'behavior that can' that is redundantWhat does 'my heart sank' mean?"get hoisted on your petard"What does blizzard mean?