Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

voyage; sightseeing excursion; trip; route
tour
understatement
picture
season
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Usage of "tit-for-trip"

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Meaning of cold comfort | WHY? ...the month I like best, my favourite month...
listening exercises
Usage of "tit-for-trip" #1 (permalink) Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:55 am   Usage of "tit-for-trip"

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #616 "English Slang Idioms (358)", question 4

"This tit-for-......... business is going to destroy our relationship. You shouldn't have done what you did to pay me back for hurting you earlier," Shannon said to Haley.

(a) that
(b) trip
(c) tat
(d) tip

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #616 "English Slang Idioms (358)", answer 4

"This tit-for-trip business is going to destroy our relationship. You shouldn't have done what you did to pay me back for hurting you earlier," Shannon said to Haley.

Correct answer: (b) trip

Your answer was: incorrect
"This tit-for-tat business is going to destroy our relationship. You shouldn't have done what you did to pay me back for hurting you earlier," Shannon said to Haley.

"tit-for-trip" - is this correct? And if yes, what does it mean?

Thanks in advance.
Baubau
You can meet me at english-test.net

Usage of "tit-for-trip" #2 (permalink) Mon Mar 01, 2010 21:02 pm   Usage of "tit-for-trip"

There's a mistake in this test - we'll correct it right away.
The answer is (c) tat. The expression is tit-for-tat. This expression refers to some kind of retaliation/payback/revenge or fair exchange.
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
Usage of "tit-for-trip" #3 (permalink) Sat Mar 20, 2010 14:03 pm   Usage of "tit-for-trip"

Furthermore, question 3 and 4 are the same, with the correct answer in N 3
_Philippe
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Meaning of cold comfort | WHY? ...the month I like best, my favourite month...
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
why not burried? what is the meaning of nipped in this context?In terms of the other matter?By saying classic pyramid scheme what does it imply?What is the difference between capital assets and fixed assets?Meaning of 'outright win'?Send me or Send to me?I'm not in the business world or may have not come across except just answeringHow popular are these expressions?I can't understand a function of their original cost.Maybe nick name scratched in the corner?In my opinion this sentence is correct.Why is 'declare' incorrect?How can you define upset in sport terms?