excellent; conspicuous; prominent; due
vast
outstanding
urgent
frank

Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean?

What is an old windsock? | What does hooked up mean?
Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean? #1 (permalink) Mon Mar 01, 2010 14:34 pm   Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean?

ESL/EFL Test #824 "Down phrases", question 1

Fans are looking forward to this week's ......... down between Arsenal and Manchester.

(a) mark
(b) run
(c) show
(d) low

ESL/EFL Test #824 "Down phrases", answer 1

Fans are looking forward to this week's show down between Arsenal and Manchester.

Correct answer: (c) show
_________________________

Can you explain me 'show down' what does it mean,I have seen in dictionary 'reveal playing cards' and nothing more.

Giod
Giod

Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean? #2 (permalink) Mon Mar 01, 2010 21:33 pm   Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean?

It refers to the culmination of a fight or battle. A football final for example. Shows who is best. (Reveals.)
_________________

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean? #3 (permalink) Tue Mar 02, 2010 22:34 pm   Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean?

that's right i think so
Sara Elsysy

Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean? #4 (permalink) Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:31 am   Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean?

It is a single word: 'showdown'.
_________________

Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean? #5 (permalink) Fri Mar 05, 2010 14:15 pm   Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean?

Showdown = face to face encounter or face-off.

Ok.. Can we use 'showdown' for anything else other than sport games and cowboys?
Puppet

Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean? #6 (permalink) Fri Mar 05, 2010 19:18 pm   Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean?

Of course ... after a confrontation between major powers, or between lovers who are telling each other the truth ... at last!
_________________

Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean? #7 (permalink) Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:49 am   Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean?

Hi Kitos,

Sounds like 'to clear the air' or 'patch things up'.
Puppet

Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean? #8 (permalink) Tue Mar 09, 2010 13:52 pm   Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean?

No-- it is not to 'patch things up'-- it is a fight to the finish. The example given originally is of a football match.
_________________

Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean? #9 (permalink) Tue Mar 09, 2010 23:03 pm   Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean?

Giod wrote:
Can you explain me 'show down' what does it mean,I have seen in dictionary 'reveal playing cards' and nothing more.Giod

The phrase 'can you explain me' does not exist in English. It's probably a direct translation from your native language. In English we say 'can you explain' or 'can you explain to me'.

TOEFL listening lectures: A university lecture on Modern World History

Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean? #10 (permalink) Wed Mar 10, 2010 1:49 am   Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean?

Noun: showdown

1. A hostile disagreement face-to-face
[WordWeb.info]

Some other words that have a similar meaning are:
confrontation
encounter
face-off

*****MORE INFORMATION:

show·down [shṓ dòwn]
(plural show·downs)
noun
1. confrontation: a confrontation to settle a conflict or dispute
2. placing of cards face up: in poker, the moment at the end of a round when the players show their cards to see who has the best hand

Microsoft® Encarta® 2009. © 1993-2008 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
English_For_You

Location: I currently live and teach in Italy

Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean? #11 (permalink) Wed Mar 10, 2010 19:02 pm   Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean?

Mister Micawber wrote:

Hey,.. Thank you.
Puppet

What does 'put off' mean?Overhead levelled off?Why said insted of told?What is 'clear title'?What does read him like a book mean?Meaning of "That sounds great/good"What does hand in mean?Difference between since and farsterile vs fertileWhat does "there will be some kind of consideration" mean?Sentences with lift?What does morals mean?meaning of janitorial