Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to hold superior; to appoint; to nominate; to like better
condition
resemble
solace
prefer
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

Robert and Kevin fought at school today. I don't know why...

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
high return vs. strong competition | Practices vs Habits
listening exercises
Robert and Kevin fought at school today. I don't know why... #1 (permalink) Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:50 pm   Robert and Kevin fought at school today. I don't know why...

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #258 "Irregular Verbs Test (6)", question 7

Robert and Kevin ......... at school today. I don't know why. They usually get along so well.

(a) fight
(b) fought
(c) fighting

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #258 "Irregular Verbs Test (6)", answer 7

Robert and Kevin fought at school today. I don't know why. They usually get along so well.

Correct answer: (b) fought

this item is quite difficult

Jumbo
Jumbo

Robert and Kevin fought at school today. I don't know why... #2 (permalink) Tue Mar 02, 2010 15:22 pm   Robert and Kevin fought at school today. I don't know why...

If it were easy, you would learn nothing.

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Robert and Kevin fought at school today. I don't know why... #3 (permalink) Mon Mar 29, 2010 13:58 pm   Robert and Kevin fought at school today. I don't know why...

Hi,
Would you mind to explain: Why 'Robert and Kevin fight at school today' is wrong?

-Salivan
Pasban110
I'm here quite often ;-)

Robert and Kevin fought at school today. I don't know why... #4 (permalink) Mon Mar 29, 2010 14:06 pm   Robert and Kevin fought at school today. I don't know why...

Because the simple present tense of the action verb 'fight' can only mean the timeless present (i.e. present, past and future, as in 'the sun rises in the east')-- but this meaning is made impossible by the word 'today'-- or it can mean a scheduled future event (e.g. 'The train leaves at 8 pm')-- but children's school fights are not scheduled.

Robert and Kevin fought at school today. I don't know why... #5 (permalink) Mon Mar 29, 2010 15:30 pm   Robert and Kevin fought at school today. I don't know why...

"They fought today"
it was the same day but it happened in the past. The fight was already finished, right?

similar to:
I worked today.
I was busy today.
:)
Grasi02
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

Robert and Kevin fought at school today. I don't know why... #6 (permalink) Mon Mar 29, 2010 22:58 pm   Robert and Kevin fought at school today. I don't know why...

That's right.

high return vs. strong competition | Practices vs Habits
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
They might stub their big toe when walking around?What is a proof coin?What does physical custody mean here?What's a mortgage?What does mitt mean?What is the comperative and superlative degree of sad?Do you want to come to my party?Why can't not use considerations?What's the difference between lie down and lay down?Why don't we use Burnt?What does get his point across mean?Does she?Until he pays off his credit card...