act of rescuing; rescued items
appearance
neglect
salvage
applicant

pairs of sentences

Difference between above the law and over the law... | Keep a check on stationery supplies
pairs of sentences #1 (permalink) Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:27 pm   pairs of sentences

Dear all,

the following pairs of sentences:
X said that when the lecture finished she was going home
X said when the lecture finished that she was going home
X said, when the lecture finished, that she was going home

which one is right, or is there anything I should keep in mind?

Thanks in advance.
Huhuiowen

Location: Germany

pairs of sentences #2 (permalink) Wed Mar 03, 2010 14:45 pm   pairs of sentences

X said that when the lecture finished she was going home = She is leaving after the lecture
X said when the lecture finished that she was going home = She spoke this after the lecture
X said, when the lecture finished, that she was going home = She spoke this after the lecture
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
pairs of sentences #3 (permalink) Wed Mar 03, 2010 15:03 pm   pairs of sentences

Thanks Mister,

So the second means the same as the third?
Huhuiowen

Location: Germany

pairs of sentences #4 (permalink) Wed Mar 03, 2010 15:12 pm   pairs of sentences

Yes. Then we need argue only about the use of commas. (I have no great preference here.)
_________________

What does 'tied up' mean?What does the cards are stacked against you mean?Differences between were and washIn an organized manner?respect vs. in appreciationfurther vs fartherHe preys vs. he is preyingYou will lose all of that money!"Well, that's Kyle for you!"'The largest jellyfish' vs 'The fastest jellyfish'Please explain to me the meaning of "the casual dress code".Difference between Neither and EitherWhen to use 'off'?