to exercise; to use; to make an effort
rank
enroll
indicate
exert

What does the cards are stacked against you mean?

What does 'tied up' mean? | Differences between were and wash
What does the cards are stacked against you mean? #1 (permalink) Fri Mar 05, 2010 20:19 pm   What does the cards are stacked against you mean?

"I worked all day Saturday to make some extra money and I earned $70. Then, on Monday, my headlight went out and I had to spend $65 to get it fixed. I guess it all ......... out," Jeff told Melissa.

(a) weighs
(b) changes
(c) fields
(d) cancels

"I worked all day Saturday to make some extra money and I earned $70. Then, on Monday, my headlight went out and I had to spend $65 to get it fixed. I guess it all cancels out," Jeff told Melissa.

Correct answer: (d) cancels
_________________________

What does the cards are stacked against you mean
Musty

What does the cards are stacked against you mean? #2 (permalink) Sat Mar 06, 2010 0:57 am   What does the cards are stacked against you mean?

The cards are stacked against you means that you are at a disadvantage of some sort. You do not have the advantage.
_________________

Can you find all the prepositions in this story?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
"he got out the paddle"None of the lights are OR none of the lights is?"he'll do right by her"Sentence: Being a mother of 3 and working full-time was too much.Does this sentence mean the job market is becoming better?This sentence means the resume needs to be revised, doesn't it?"that's all she wrote"I always think that the longest serving staff should look forward to retiring.In an organized manner?Keep a check on stationery suppliesrespect vs. in appreciationpairs of sentencesfurther vs farther