Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

complete; full; entire; healthy
compliant
major
funnelled
whole
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

"he'll do right by her"

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
This sentence means the resume needs to be revised, doesn't it? | "he got out the paddle"
listening exercises
"he'll do right by her" #1 (permalink) Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:15 am   "he'll do right by her"

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #703 "English Slang Idioms (445)", question 5

"I think Manuel is a good choice for Lilly. I'm sure he'll do ......... by her. He's a good guy, and anyone can tell that he cares about her a lot," Zack said to Marsha.

(a) sure
(b) right
(c) good
(d) handy

English Language Tests, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #703 "English Slang Idioms (445)", answer 5

"I think Manuel is a good choice for Lilly. I'm sure he'll do right by her. He's a good guy, and anyone can tell that he cares about her a lot," Zack said to Marsha.

Correct answer: (b) right

Your answer was: incorrect
"I think Manuel is a good choice for Lilly. I'm sure he'll do good by her. He's a good guy, and anyone can tell that he cares about her a lot," Zack said to Marsha.

Can someone please rephrase "he'll do right by her", I'm not sure I understand the meaning correctly.

Thanks in advance.
Baubau
You can meet me at english-test.net

"he'll do right by her" #2 (permalink) Sun Mar 07, 2010 13:24 pm   "he'll do right by her"

The phrase has many uses, but within the context of the exercise, I would read between-the-lines and say,
The female is probably pregnant and the the man will do the moral thing and marry her.

Thus, "He will do right by her."

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
This sentence means the resume needs to be revised, doesn't it? | "he got out the paddle"
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Difference between since and farsterile vs fertileWhat does "there will be some kind of consideration" mean?Sentences with lift?None of the lights are OR none of the lights is?Sentence: Being a mother of 3 and working full-time was too much.Does this sentence mean the job market is becoming better?"that's all she wrote"I always think that the longest serving staff should look forward to retiring.What does 'tied up' mean?What does the cards are stacked against you mean?Differences between were and washPlease explain to me the meaning of "the casual dress code".