Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

strength; period; permanence
tenure
reward
staple
repetition
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

None of the lights are OR none of the lights is?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
"he got out the paddle" | What is the difference between 'nonsense' and 'garbage'?
listening exercises
None of the lights are OR none of the lights is? #1 (permalink) Sun Mar 07, 2010 14:56 pm   None of the lights are OR none of the lights is?

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #145 "Using Adjectives (1)", question 7

I can't see anything because none of the lights are on in here. It's too ......... to see.

(a) shiny
(b) bright
(c) distinct
(d) dark

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #145 "Using Adjectives (1)", answer 7

I can't see anything because none of the lights are on in here. It's too dark to see.

Correct answer: (d) dark

Your answer was: correct

none of the lights are OR
none of the lights is

please help...

hacker
Stupy

None of the lights are OR none of the lights is? #2 (permalink) Sun Mar 07, 2010 19:57 pm   None of the lights are OR none of the lights is?

Hi Hacker,
That's a good question and the answer is "none of the lights are."
I say it's a good question because many people have argued about this point throughout history.
According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary "on modern usage ..... it appears that writers generally make it singular or plural according to whatever their idea is when they write."
In this case, the idea is 'lights.' Therefore, "are" is used in this sentence.
I'm here quite often ;-)
Linda Arlia

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
"he got out the paddle" | What is the difference between 'nonsense' and 'garbage'?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Meaning of "That sounds great/good"What does hand in mean?Difference between since and farsterile vs fertileWhat does "there will be some kind of consideration" mean?Sentences with lift?"he'll do right by her"Sentence: Being a mother of 3 and working full-time was too much.Does this sentence mean the job market is becoming better?This sentence means the resume needs to be revised, doesn't it?"that's all she wrote"I always think that the longest serving staff should look forward to retiring.What does the cards are stacked against you mean?