strength; period; permanence
tenure
reward
staple
repetition

None of the lights are OR none of the lights is?

"he got out the paddle" | What is the difference between 'nonsense' and 'garbage'?
None of the lights are OR none of the lights is? #1 (permalink) Sun Mar 07, 2010 14:56 pm   None of the lights are OR none of the lights is?

ESL/EFL Test #145 "Using Adjectives (1)", question 7

I can't see anything because none of the lights are on in here. It's too ......... to see.

(a) shiny
(b) bright
(c) distinct
(d) dark

ESL/EFL Test #145 "Using Adjectives (1)", answer 7

I can't see anything because none of the lights are on in here. It's too dark to see.

Correct answer: (d) dark

_________________________

none of the lights are OR
none of the lights is

please help...

hacker
Stupy

None of the lights are OR none of the lights is? #2 (permalink) Sun Mar 07, 2010 19:57 pm   None of the lights are OR none of the lights is?

Hi Hacker,
That's a good question and the answer is "none of the lights are."
I say it's a good question because many people have argued about this point throughout history.
According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary "on modern usage ..... it appears that writers generally make it singular or plural according to whatever their idea is when they write."
In this case, the idea is 'lights.' Therefore, "are" is used in this sentence.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
Meaning of "That sounds great/good"What does hand in mean?Difference between since and farsterile vs fertileWhat does "there will be some kind of consideration" mean?Sentences with lift?"he'll do right by her"Sentence: Being a mother of 3 and working full-time was too much.Does this sentence mean the job market is becoming better?This sentence means the resume needs to be revised, doesn't it?"that's all she wrote"I always think that the longest serving staff should look forward to retiring.What does the cards are stacked against you mean?