lawsuit; request; right
earnest
contrary
license
claim

What is an old windsock?

Meaning of "That sounds great/good" | Can you explain me 'show down' -- what does it mean?
What is an old windsock? #1 (permalink) Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:45 am   What is an old windsock?

"I hope that old ......... retires soon. He talks on and on but doesn't ever say anything of substance. He is hurting our firm by remaining in the figurehead position. People won't have confidence in us if they talk to him and figure out that for all the talking, he has nothing to say," Brent told Jim about the senior law partner in the law firm.

(a) windmill
(b) wind sock
(c) windbag
(d) wind sail

"I hope that old wind sock retires soon. He talks on and on but doesn't ever say anything of substance. He is hurting our firm by remaining in the figurehead position. People won't have confidence in us if they talk to him and figure out that for all the talking, he has nothing to say," Brent told Jim about the senior law partner in the law firm.

Correct answer: (b) wind sock

_________________________

I can't find any definition of windsock related to the meaning implied by this sentence.
Is it a common expression ?
Could you provide any explanation ?
_Philippe

What is an old windsock? #2 (permalink) Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:40 am   What is an old windsock?

The choice of 'windsock' is used in the test sentence to show another word formed with 'wind'. There is, as far as i know, no common use of the words 'old windsock' except obviously to say that it is a windsock that is old. A windsock is a device often used in airports to show in which direction the wind is blowing. Hope that clears up the mystery.

_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Sign up for FREE and explore English! Click to subscribe to email English course
What is an old windsock? #3 (permalink) Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:11 am   What is an old windsock?

One can also say, "He/She is an old gasbag." It has the same derogatory meaning.
_________________

What is an old windsock? #4 (permalink) Wed Mar 10, 2010 17:20 pm   What is an old windsock?

A windsock or windbag (slang) is someone who talks a lot - a rather boring individual who talks about boring topics.
_________________

Overhead levelled off?Why said insted of told?What is 'clear title'?What does read him like a book mean?What does hand in mean?Difference between since and farsterile vs fertileWhat does "there will be some kind of consideration" mean?Sentences with lift?What does hooked up mean?What does morals mean?meaning of janitorialmeaning of "to lose one's grip"