commotion; flurry; excitement
ado
pedicure
travel
guilt

What does put on hold mean?

to bump smb. to death means to attack and hurt? | Stricken vs. struck
What does put on hold mean? #1 (permalink) Fri Mar 12, 2010 7:12 am   What does put on hold mean?

ESL/EFL Test #177 "Phrasal idioms with the verb 'put'", question 3

The Government has decided to ......... the recent Cabinet decision to cut the food subsidy bill by 30 per cent, following protests from a section of Congress.

(a) put up
(b) put out
(c) put on hold
(d) put in

ESL/EFL Test #177 "Phrasal idioms with the verb 'put'", answer 3

The Government has decided to put on hold the recent Cabinet decision to cut the food subsidy bill by 30 per cent, following protests from a section of Congress.

Correct answer: (c) put on hold
_________________________

explaintion
Stupy

What does put on hold mean? #2 (permalink) Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:55 am   What does put on hold mean?

I think it is better to ask a question like this: Can you please explain this word/expression for me.

'Put on hold' means 'delay for the present' - in other words you do not make the decision now but you keep it in reserve until a later date.

_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What does put on hold mean? #3 (permalink) Mon Mar 15, 2010 23:51 pm   What does put on hold mean?

Hi Mr. Alan,

Would it be possible to say 'put that a side'?
Puppet

What does put on hold mean? #4 (permalink) Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:13 am   What does put on hold mean?

Puppet wrote:
Hi Mr. Alan,

Hello! I know that you asked Mr. Alan but I just thought I would try to help you out too! (smile) Yes, you can put something aside!

Please note that the word is written "aside" and not " a side". Ok? Ok! : )

Now for some additional information and examples using "aside"!

Definitions of "aside":

Adverb: aside
1. On or to one side
"step aside"; "stood aside to let him pass"; "threw the book aside"; "put her sewing aside when he entered"

2. Out of the way (especially away from one's thoughts)
"brush the objections aside"

3. Not taken into account or excluded from consideration
"All joking aside, I think you're crazy"

4. In a different direction
"turn aside"

5. Placed or kept separate and distinct as for a purpose
"a day set aside for relaxing"

6. In reserve; not for immediate use
"started setting aside money to buy a car"

Noun: aside
1. A line spoken by an actor to the audience but not intended for others on the stage
2. A message that departs from the main subject

[WordWeb.info]
English_For_You

Location: I currently live and teach in Italy

What does put on hold mean? #5 (permalink) Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:52 am   What does put on hold mean?

Hi Puppet,

Note that the words are ' put aside'. It's also worth mentioning that there is another expression where 'side' is written as a separate word: 'put to one side', which virtually means the same thing.

_________________

What does put on hold mean? #6 (permalink) Tue Mar 16, 2010 21:11 pm   What does put on hold mean?

English_For_You,

Thank you! It's an honor to share the talking with someone like you are .. Having this high spirit.

.
.

Hi Mr. Alan,

Thank you so much for confirming that remark about 'aside'. Something new done i've learned While I was to ckeck out that expression with you.
Puppet

What does put on hold mean? #7 (permalink) Wed Mar 17, 2010 16:21 pm   What does put on hold mean?

Puppet wrote:
English_For_You,

.
.

Hi Mr. Alan,

Thank you Puppet for your prompt reply! It is also an honor for me to share whatever knowledge I can to help you improve your English! Your enthusiasm inspires other English learners here on this forum! Keep up the good work! : )

By the way.....please note that the expression is (to be) "in high spirits" (adjective) and not "high spirit"!

EXAMPLE:
Grandmother was in high spirits during the weeks that Antonia worked for us.

For more information and examples see the link below:

Thank you for your time and attention! Bye for now!
English_For_You

What are prepositional phrases?Move into climbVery interesting test!Why are fewer companies offering pension plans to retirees? Isn't it unfair?What does Prime rate mean?What does back bonnet mean?What does postpone mean?Why are ants very strong?Out of date?Does the "order" mean the position for which the candidat is appling?What is the meaning by saying the team chemistry of the group?What does "entails of the details" mean?May you help me in these sentences?