striking; noteworthy; extraordinary; exceptional
remarkable
equal
injured
private

Phrasal verb: turn up

to mail in our store receipt??? | "Within seconds" vs "Without seconds"
Phrasal verb: turn up #1 (permalink) Tue Nov 22, 2005 20:10 pm   Phrasal verb: turn up

Test No. incompl/inter-49 "Speaking 6 (Political Party)", question 9

But then you all have turned ......... tonight and that proves there is growing interest in our ideals.

(a) in
(b) over
(c) up
(d) into

Test No. incompl/inter-49 "Speaking 6 (Political Party)", answer 9

But then you all have turned up tonight and that proves there is growing interest in our ideals.

Correct answer: (c) up

But then you all have turned over tonight and that proves there is growing interest in our ideals.
_________________________

hi
when we shld use up and over?
bitu

Phrasal verb: turn up #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:38 am   Phrasal verb: turn up

.
Turn up (and turn out) mean appear (at an event).

Turn over means relinquish control; reverse physical position; sell one's stock of goods; think about.
.
_________________

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Turn up/over #3 (permalink) Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:22 am   Turn up/over

Hi Bitu,

I have used the phrasal verb turn up in this sentence to mean come to/arrive at (in this case the meeting) and it often has the idea of coming to something by chance or unexpectedly. Remember that turn over can mean literally go to the other side of a page - a common abbreviation at the bottom of one page is PTO, which means please turn over (the page).

_________________

Re: Turn up/over #4 (permalink) Wed May 02, 2012 11:01 am   Re: Turn up/over

Hi Bitu,

thanks dear Alan for your explaination
it realy healp
Igal1

Meaning of 'doing our planet some good'?Meaning of 'upon fifteen (15) days prior written notice'???about "to tell about"which one is the best english?Test incompl/elem-191, Question 4Is the comma correct here?six routes serve???more mobile societythe turbulance and noise of the boats.Test incompl/elem-177, Question 7has been developed vs. has been developingCan you come in tomorrow at 1:00 pm INTEAD OF Can you come on tomorrow at 1:0 pmWhat are synonyms to 'quiet'?