to gain; to obtain; to earn a point (in a game, etc.); to tally; to grade a test
strike
price
score
monitor

Do you want to be my friend?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28 ... 94, 95, 96  Next

ESL Forum | New ESL Forum Member?
Speaking English and making friends! Here is Lorena from Romania | Hi everyone!
Do you want to be my friend? #391 (permalink) Wed May 12, 2010 9:49 am   Do you want to be my friend?

You people would like to be my friend ?

This reminds me Gift-getting Vs. Gift-giving.

I myself would like to be someone's friend, INSTEAD of asking them to be my friend at the first time! Doesn't it sound more positive?

Anyway, everybody is welcome.

Joao, your progress report says that you are in the second place. Is that true? I am getting envious!
Pasban110

Location: Tabriz city, Iran

Do you want to be my friend? #392 (permalink) Wed May 12, 2010 10:02 am   Do you want to be my friend?

Bagheera301 wrote:
Hey Khayam,
How do you feel today, hope you've fully recovered from this dreadfull illness. You and your wife are about the same age as my husband and me - he is 32 and I'm 26, but we've been married for 5 years. Besides I'm a teacher too. See, we have a lot in common. :-)
By the way, I wanted to ask you as an expert - there are two words in English: to go parachuting and to go paragliding, both of them seem to note the same. Am I right, are these two words synonyms? The thing is that it is quite vaguely explained in the dictionary. Do you happen to know which one is commonly used by native speakers?

Bagheera,
To be honest, I need a few more days to recover completely. I still take my antibiotics. My daughter is feeling the same way I do. Her body temperature lowered but, she still has a diarrhea. Anyway, it is great feeling to see her playing with us again.

A parachute is a device which enables a person to jump out of an aircraft and float (land) safely to the ground. Originally designed to provide a safe escape from a disabled (broken) aircraft. One of it's aim was to help soldiers in the battlefield as well. Later parachuting practical demonstrations began. There are a lot of competitions of parachuting.
Parachuting is jumping out of a flight. We use the word of jumping for Parachuting. When you jump with parachute out of airplane, It only keeps you a few minutes up to the sky. When you land with parachute you must be ready for tumbling. Sometimes you may land on the ground swiftly (fast and hard).
Supplies can be parachuted (dropped) into the lands from airplane. You dont need a person for dropping objects by parachute. As a shape parachute wing is smaller than paragliding wing. But there are some different shapes as well.

As for Paragliding, it has different meaning. When paragliding we don't jump from airplane, instead we need a hill. We need to run with parachute on the hill untill ve take off. If there is enough wind we even dont need to run. We use the word of flying for Paragliding. Sometimes if you are lucky to catch the thermal air (wave) you may even go upper to the hill that you fly from. By paragling you can stay on the air longer than parachuting. It can take 1-5 hours to fly. Landing is softer. If you experiencied enough you can land as a bird do. It's a kind of having a fun.

I enclosed some pictures for details. I hope my explanations help you some way..

PARAGLIDING PICTURES..

FIRS STEP Running on the hill

ON THE AIR

PARAGLIDING WING Pay attention to the shape

PARACHUTING PICTURES (SKY DIVING)

JUMPING FROM AIRPLANE

PARACHUTE WING Pay attention to the shape
Khayyam06

Location: Turkey

In this story you'll learn how to use the English articlesEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
Do you want to be my friend? #393 (permalink) Wed May 12, 2010 11:15 am   Do you want to be my friend?

hiiiiii friends,
Jimmy Mody

Location: Surat, India

Do you want to be my friend? #394 (permalink) Wed May 12, 2010 15:35 pm   Do you want to be my friend?

Khayam, thanks for such a detailed explanation.
It's getting more clear. So in paragliding the parachute is opened from very beginning, when you 'do running on the hill', and in parachuting they fly for some minutes before parachute opens. What is skydiving then?
_________________
I'm a natural blonde, please speak slowly ;-)
Bagheera

Location: Ukraine, Lviv

Do you want to be my friend? #395 (permalink) Wed May 12, 2010 16:17 pm   Do you want to be my friend?

Dear Pasban,
First of all, let me encourage you in relations with women. I've already read about your unpleasant experience, and all I can say that the woman you've been in love with just doesn't deserve you. Don't get too pesimistic about love. I'm sure you're young, intreresting, clever and educated man.( By the way, how old are you? )I'm convinced you will find your second half soon and will be happy.
Second, to tell you the truth I think you're lucky to have been born a man in Iran. I knew that in your culture women are a bit restricted, but to have an opportunity to get married by 21 is too much. I was married at 21, but it is considered very early. A good friend of mine (he is from Greece) called me even 'a typical Russian girl' because of it - you know in Europe they marry a bit later.
And what about you, will you marry a girl your mother will choose for you who'll be between 14 an 21? Or will you seek true and everlasting love?
By the way, do women have a right to go to work and to vote in your country?
To conclude, I'll add that I like your informative story very much. Despite I don't get all these strict rules, I think that modern world has gone freak. I despise all these 'free love', 'homosexual', 'eveything-is-allowed' movements. Threfore I'm fond of Muslim culture (not to count what is too cruel about it) -orderly and strict and in this stricktness there is some hidden sense, which may be interpreted as 'we are just little humans, each of us has his function and if you do well you'll be honoured, if not - you're goner'. Like in the wildlife - each creature does what god intended it to be.
LOL
_________________
Bagheera

Location: Ukraine, Lviv

Do you want to be my friend? #396 (permalink) Wed May 12, 2010 17:19 pm   Do you want to be my friend?

Skydiving is another name for parachuting. You dive in to sky out of airplane.
Parachuting, also known as skydiving, is the action of performing acrobatics during freefall, followed by deployment of a parachute. From wikipedia

Yes, you are right Bagheera,
In paragliding the wing is open before take off. In Skydiving you jump out and count back from 5 to 0 and pull the tool that lets open the parachute wing. Some skydivers count back from fifties:) though..
Khayyam06

Location: Turkey

Do you want to be my friend? #397 (permalink) Wed May 12, 2010 18:25 pm   Do you want to be my friend?

I am 26 years old, Bagheera! Pretty young!

However, the story for boys' love haven't done yet.

What I wrote you about choosing a girl by the boy's family, some part of that - asking to let the girl be their bride; still is on the roll.
For the what we call it modern engagement, the boy choose a girl form their family, neighbor, friends' sister, and university. The new generation is not interested in that old staffs.

I myself would like to find mine by myself - LOL!

To compare the number of girls with the number of boys, it is about 2g per boy - almost! So, it tend to get marry with ever younger girls that the old ones. They say that it is really good for both of them to get marry as soon as they can. But because of financial issues no boy has interested to get marry soon. They prefer to invest some money, buy a house, buy a car, and other things. I am afraid everybody is used to following it.

Letting the wife work out side is not that much restricted. The man may analyze the place where the woman would like to work, and if it is OK, the man may let her work- The male worker/colleagues will be seemed a big problem, thought! But most men prefer that the women stay at home and raise the children.

The rules are not rough that much. The love between couples will solve every problem. Don't forget that that damn double standard which says they man entitles as a king, and the woman must serve him - It's getting better now, even here!

I think that you know me enough, and could recognize how I will my LOVE-MATE! I really like to consider everyone, despite it is against the old traditions, or not! After all, she will be someone whom I will adore and devote myself to her - I HOPE SO!

And, for the lucky bride, I would like to choose one whom her age will be 20 to 24; I am 26 now, 1984, -Dammit I am getting old; LOL!

Women have right to participate in everything; voting, driving, working, and sport - Sports:With lots of restrictions, ask Google for Iranian sport women. THEY HAVE TO COVER THEIR BODIES ALL THE TIME, THOUGH!

I really want to marry, but there are lots of issues. The mains are: I have NO proper job (because of military services which I have to go) and NO enough incoming (which satisfy myself). As soon as if do them, be sure I will be engaged!

However, I don't want to think about finding a girl right now. There are two or three girls I have suggested to mum, but she refuse to talk with their family.

Bagheera, it's really OK with me. I really don't like to busy myself just by chit-chatting with girls.

On next post, I would like to start a new topic. So, look forward to participating in it!
Pasban110

Location: Tabriz city, Iran

Do you want to be my friend? #398 (permalink) Wed May 12, 2010 19:27 pm   Do you want to be my friend?

An interesting story, Pasban, indeed.

Khayam, thanks for explanation. By the way, the photos are fascinating!

See you, friends
_________________
Bagheera

Location: Ukraine, Lviv

Do you want to be my friend? #399 (permalink) Wed May 12, 2010 19:54 pm   Do you want to be my friend?

Jayj wrote:
Hey Bagheera301,

Thanks for replying to my post. Things are going well on my end. I'm in the U.S. Where are you from? Well, hope to hear from you soon. Take care and be safe. Enjoy the rest of your week.

Hey Jayj,
I'm from Ukraine (Eastern Europe), it is written below my photo. And where are you from? It seems to me that you're in States on business or am I mistaken? Your command of English is pretty good, so join us in discussing the phenomena of marriage!
_________________
Bagheera

Location: Ukraine, Lviv

Do you want to be my friend? #400 (permalink) Wed May 12, 2010 21:43 pm   Do you want to be my friend?

Hey Bagheera301,

I'm actually from the states. English is not my first language though. I've been reading the posts on the site and it's quite interesting some of the details that's been passed around. So I guess the topic of discussion is "marriage," right? Well, what exactly are we talking about here? Is someone getting married and needs advice? Is this just a general topic so everyone can budge in and share? I'll be more than happy to discuss the topic with everyone. I really don't want to go back 240 something pages and catch up on the discussion. Do you mind giving me a synopsis or a quick update of where the discussion is? Thanks, have a great day.
Jayj

Do you want to be my friend? #401 (permalink) Thu May 13, 2010 6:08 am   Do you want to be my friend?

Jayj, The picture is that the steps of a marriage (from finding a girl-boy to getting married with her-him). To get start, read mine.
Please follow the link: http://www.english-test.net/forum/ftopic51832-375.html#242057
Pasban110

Location: Tabriz city, Iran

Do you want to be my friend? #402 (permalink) Thu May 13, 2010 12:19 pm   Do you want to be my friend?

Nice topic

Dear good luck
Hyder12

Do you want to be my friend? #403 (permalink) Thu May 13, 2010 19:35 pm   Do you want to be my friend?

Hi Salivan,
Today is my turn to speak about marriage traditions in my country. To tell you the truth, if I start thinking about it I can remember nothing extraordinary. Everything got trite in Ukraine since globalization has taken effect. White dress, white limousine, exquisite cake, expensive wedding breakfast ... boring, boring, boring, boring ...
Tough, long ago all was different, groom first send to the house of bride his best men, who asked the bride to be if she accepts the man. A girl could either accept or refuse a guy. The sign of refusal was the following, she gave best men a pumpkin. Since then we have in our language an idiom 'to give/get a pumpkin', i.e. to be refused. If a girl still accepted a guy, he was welcomed to see the parents and to ask them to bless the couple. Then, the wedding was being planned. All relatives, friends and neighbours were invited, there were no hen/stag parties in our culture - all this came from abroad. We're like monkeys copying western people, as if they are superior. Before the wedding a girl should embroid a piece of cloth, which was believed to bring the couple happiness. Quite exhausting activity I must confess. Then, the girl invites her guests and a boy his ones. All is done personally - a girl with two bridesmaides went from house to house, bowing and inviting people to the wedding. For men the prosedure is the same. The wedding was celebrated two days - first in his house, then in hers.

To conclude I'd like to say that all these traditions are of great interst to me, because today everything is becoming similar and bannal. We are getting like clones, therefore I admire nations who managed to preserve their authentic traditions.
_________________
Bagheera

Location: Ukraine, Lviv

How are you? #404 (permalink) Thu May 13, 2010 21:02 pm   How are you?

Hello friend,
MY name is Ram das from India.
I am student.
Ramdas

Do you want to be my friend? #405 (permalink) Fri May 14, 2010 10:25 am   Do you want to be my friend?

LOL.
Bagheera, why didn't you tell me that you have uploaded some new pictures of yours? AM I NOT ONE OF YOUR FANS?
Pasban110

Location: Tabriz city, Iran

ESL Forum | New ESL Forum Member? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Hi im a newbieBack to site after 3 years!!!IntroductionWhat is the English word for a life of full things, a family of full happinessUse of listening transcript 10 with due source attributionnew member,hello everyone!A new Member who needs helpA question regarding "Preparation forum for the GRE Test"!Thinking & Speaking in Englishbig hello to everyoneMeet with writer, blogger Rizwan Ahmed MemonNever wanted to be uncivil. I was extremely upset. I'm sorrycollecting criminals across the city