management of resources (i.e. money, goods, etc.); thrift; careful spending
due
situation
counter
economy

deserved a trip to the woodshed

behaviour vs. behavior | What does OEMs stand for?
deserved a trip to the woodshed #1 (permalink) Wed Mar 24, 2010 17:02 pm   deserved a trip to the woodshed

ESL/EFL Test #166 "Quality Control at Ford", question 3

A Ford executive contended that suppliers deserved a trip to the ......... for a number of costly, boneheaded mistakes.

(a) dentist
(b) market
(c) outhouse
(d) woodshed

ESL/EFL Test #166 "Quality Control at Ford", answer 3

A Ford executive contended that suppliers deserved a trip to the woodshed for a number of costly, boneheaded mistakes.

Correct answer: (d) woodshed
_________________________

Why woodshed? Is there a special meaning here?
_________________
I have a dream and I want to know the secret of time and universe.
Zhangbaixiang

Location: Chinese

deserved a trip to the woodshed #2 (permalink) Wed Mar 24, 2010 23:00 pm   deserved a trip to the woodshed

'A trip to the woodshed' = punishment, castigation. In my youth, Father would take his young son to an outbuilding for a thrashing when the son misbehaved.
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Is the structure of the sentence "from--to--to"?Does the "the select few concepts" refer to the 'viable ideas'?What does the "work above and beyond the call of duty" mean?What is a fine?What is the meaning of 'I've really had enough of all your excuses?What does took its eye off the ball mean?Meaning of 'Many suppliers are reserving judgment until the strategy...'What is uneconomic actions?What does "in place" mean here?By saying 'the least efficient and least defensible tax' what does this imply?what's the meaning of ”additional for“Adding up?interest rates are going up?