concentration; ability to concentrate on an issue
condition
attentiveness
document
degree

What does took its eye off the ball mean?

What does OEMs stand for? | What is the meaning of 'I've really had enough of all your excuses?
What does took its eye off the ball mean? #1 (permalink) Wed Mar 24, 2010 17:25 pm   What does took its eye off the ball mean?

ESL/EFL Test #166 "Quality Control at Ford", question 10

It is humbling for the company that pioneered mass production of the automobile to admit nearly 100 years later that it took its eye ........., that it sacrificed engineering prowess in what ironically was an attempt to make itself more efficient.

(a) for an eye
(b) off the ball
(c) out of the socket
(d) to the grindstone

ESL/EFL Test #166 "Quality Control at Ford", answer 10

It is humbling for the company that pioneered mass production of the automobile to admit nearly 100 years later that it took its eye off the ball, that it sacrificed engineering prowess in what ironically was an attempt to make itself more efficient.

Correct answer: (b) off the ball
_________________________

The meaning of "took its eye off the ball"?
And no idea of the sentence.
_________________
I have a dream and I want to know the secret of time and universe.
Zhangbaixiang

Location: Chinese

What does took its eye off the ball mean? #2 (permalink) Wed Mar 24, 2010 23:03 pm   What does took its eye off the ball mean?

Failed to pay attention; failed to concentrate on its goal
_________________

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
How can you possibly sprint up slowly?'Christina is studying for her chemistry' vs 'She studies for her chemistry'Is the structure of the sentence "from--to--to"?Does the "the select few concepts" refer to the 'viable ideas'?What does the "work above and beyond the call of duty" mean?What is a fine?Meaning of 'Many suppliers are reserving judgment until the strategy...'deserved a trip to the woodshedWhat is uneconomic actions?What does "in place" mean here?By saying 'the least efficient and least defensible tax' what does this imply?what's the meaning of ”additional for“Adding up?