Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to guard; to keep safe; to keep; to defend; to protect
preserve
manufacture
leverage
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

left a lot to be desired?

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
mental or physcial well-being? | Why I need to use 'remember' instead of 'remind'?
listening exercises
left a lot to be desired? #1 (permalink) Fri Mar 26, 2010 20:28 pm   left a lot to be desired?

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #127 "Ways of commenting", question 9

The room was good, the bed was comfortable and the service was excellent but the hotel food left a lot to be ..........

(a) required
(b) desired
(c) demanded
(d) included

Business Idiom in English, Intermediate level

ESL/EFL Test #127 "Ways of commenting", answer 9

The room was good, the bed was comfortable and the service was excellent but the hotel food left a lot to be desired.

Correct answer: (b) desired

Your answer was: correct

Good Evening!
What is the meaning of 'alot to be desired'?
Luby
I'm here quite often ;-)

left a lot to be desired? #2 (permalink) Sat Mar 27, 2010 0:34 am   left a lot to be desired?

I think that means the food was too bad compared with what we had desired.

Location: No.Unknown Molao Residential area, Hadong District, Hanoi City, Vietnam

Learn some cool expressions in the following cool storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!How many different ways with words do you know? Subscribe to free email English course
left a lot to be desired? #3 (permalink) Sun Apr 11, 2010 18:23 pm   left a lot to be desired?

As far as I remember there's a set expression Leave much to be desired meaning something could have been done much better. A lot to be desired have the same meaning.
I'm here quite often ;-)

left a lot to be desired? #4 (permalink) Sun Apr 11, 2010 18:37 pm   left a lot to be desired?

Right again, Gheon.
"left a lot to be desired" - was not of the standard that one would wish for or expect.

In this example, the hotel food did not come up to the expected (desired) standard.
Language Coach

mental or physcial well-being? | Why I need to use 'remember' instead of 'remind'?
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Don't get it. Mortage or mortgage?Usage of thoseTake out the money?What does shell out mean?What does body and sould mean?clip vs. clipswhat does insecurity mean?Use "filthy" just in the meaning of "dirty"Is this right vs. Is this correct?difference between "devotion" and "commitment"smaller size vs larger sizeMeaning of 'I shall now have to take the matter further'tell means raconte en francais