large container; tank; tub
mandate
original
vat
developer

School of hard knocks?

Meaning of "He plays two instruments" | 'could lose all of your money' vs 'could lost all of your money'
School of hard knocks? #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:38 am   School of hard knocks?

"I went to the school of hard .......... I grew up with a single mom who worked all the time; she had two jobs, so I had to take care of my two sisters and look after the house," Kyle said to Ellis.

(a) rocks
(b) luck
(c) knocks
(d) muck

"I went to the school of hard knocks. I grew up with a single mom who worked all the time; she had two jobs, so I had to take care of my two sisters and look after the house," Kyle said to Ellis.

Correct answer: (c) knocks
_________________________

scrap off idiom
Stupy

School of hard knocks? #2 (permalink) Fri Apr 02, 2010 19:10 pm   School of hard knocks?

What does it mean here? And why do we use the before school here?
_________________
Let my English be checked!
Wanderer

Location: Where wanderers and vagabonds usually live

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
School of hard knocks? #3 (permalink) Fri Apr 02, 2010 21:08 pm   School of hard knocks?

"School of hard knocks" is an idiom. This refers to learning about life the hard way.
In other words, if you went to the school of hard knocks, you had a difficult life.
"School" refers to learning and education (about life and difficult situations.)
_________________

The shop owner shot the robber. vs The shop owner shoots the robber.penny antewhat is cold-blooded?currently vs generallyWhy do we not use solitary here?What does sick in this sentence mean?Meaning of "kira speaks two languages."This is the most stupidest thing I have ever heard of.Laying vs. LyingHow is the pattern of comparative degree?tackle vs. fumbleprescription vs recipeExpression: 'on a regular basis'