Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

ready; attentive; quick; agile
incumbent
diligent
alert
absent
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

currently vs generally

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
what is cold-blooded? | Difference between considerably and relatively
listening exercises
currently vs generally #1 (permalink) Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:22 am   currently vs generally

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #193 "Verb Tense Practice (10)", question 6

Currently, he ......... a very successful business.

(a) run
(b) runs
(c) ran
(d) running

English Grammar Tests, Elementary Level

ESL/EFL Test #193 "Verb Tense Practice (10)", answer 6

Currently, he runs a very successful business.

Correct answer: (b) runs

which tense should I use when is word ,,currently"?it means now?generally?

Miska
Miska

currently vs generally #2 (permalink) Sat Apr 03, 2010 18:11 pm   currently vs generally

Currently means at present. You can use present simple here instead of present progressive as his running the business is not based on only the present time but also on the past and future time.

How do you use the English Prepositions correctly?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Have you read a good anecdote today? Subscribe to free email English course
currently vs generally #3 (permalink) Sat Apr 03, 2010 18:51 pm   currently vs generally

Quote:
which tense should I use when is word ,,currently"?it means now?generally?
The main reason that you cannot select option (d) in this test is that 'running' is not a tense.

It would be perfectly correct to use 'is running' in the test sentence. However, 'is running' is not one of the options, so the only possible correct choice is 'runs'.

The word 'currently' basically means 'now' or 'at the present time'. It is very common to find the present progressive used in sentences that contain the word 'currently', but the word 'currently' is also sometimes used with the present simple tense. In this case, the word 'currently' might have been used with the present simple in order to suggest that his current job is not the only job he has had. OR it may have been used to suggest that his business has not always been successful. Additional context would no doubt clarify that.

what is cold-blooded? | Difference between considerably and relatively
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
The shop owner shot the robber. vs The shop owner shoots the robber.penny anteWhich tense is often used to write a poem or story?'could lose all of your money' vs 'could lost all of your money'Why do we not use solitary here?What does sick in this sentence mean?Meaning of "kira speaks two languages."Meaning of "He plays two instruments"School of hard knocks?This is the most stupidest thing I have ever heard of.Laying vs. LyingPhotos of your girlfriend?Expression: 'on a regular basis'