Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

plentifulness; abundance; numerousness; plurality
guess
profusion
example
invoice
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does as far as mean?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Hurry or Hurry up..? | What's the difference between degree Celsius and degree Centigrade?
listening exercises
What does as far as mean? #1 (permalink) Sun Apr 04, 2010 19:59 pm   What does as far as mean?

As far as you explained the problem, it didn't sound worse. What does this sentence mean?

What does as far as mean? #2 (permalink) Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:32 am   What does as far as mean?

"As far as you explained the problem" = Based on your explanation of the problem.

I'm guessing that the whole thing means:
Based on your explanation of the problem, it didn't sound as if it(the problem) was worse (than it was before).

"As far as" is also common in
"As far as I can tell"
"As far as I know"
"As far as I can discover",
all of which mean "based on the information I have received"

Another common phrase, which is more difficult to deal with is,
"As far as I can see" because depending on how it is used it can either mean the same as above or it can literally mean the distance I can see.
Language Coach

Do you know how to use the relative pronoun?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
Hurry or Hurry up..? | What's the difference between degree Celsius and degree Centigrade?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
nicer vs nicest vs much niceHow come there's 'an' while there clearly should be 'the'?Because, Claudia is older than Eva and MaryMeaning of tax creditdrag onWe aren't stopping do to trust issues or accidentsnot the brightest star in the skymean vs meantWhat is turnaround fianacing? Is it an amount of money or a method something?Idiom: come to the pointWhy "goes in" not "goes of"?Difference between FIT and SUITPrefer vs. rather