Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

to further; to encourage sales; to aid; to help; to assist
promote
lack
supplement
conceptualize
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

What does tail mean?

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
Through his hat | English idiom: take out the trash
listening exercises
What does tail mean? #1 (permalink) Mon Nov 28, 2005 20:26 pm   What does tail mean?

ESL/EFL Test "Talking through his hat", question 3

It was one of those society weddings you know when the men wear ......... hats and tails.

(a) tall
(b) long
(c) top
(d) full

ESL/EFL Test "Talking through his hat", answer 3

It was one of those society weddings you know when the men wear top hats and tails.

Correct answer: (c) top

Your answer was: incorrect
It was one of those society weddings you know when the men wear long hats and tails.

Hi Alan,
What does 'tail' mean in this context?

EFL Student
EFL Student

What does 'tail' mean #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 29, 2005 2:23 am   What does 'tail' mean

Tails is informal for mens' formal evening dress-- it refers to the cut of the back of the jacket.

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Read these English anecdotes and maybe smile today? Subscribe to free email English course
What does tail mean? #3 (permalink) Wed Mar 21, 2007 10:39 am   What does tail mean?

BTW, Lingvo says that Tall hat = Silk hat = Top-hat
Lost_Soul
I'm a Communicator ;-)

What does tail mean? #4 (permalink) Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:28 pm   What does tail mean?

Not idiomatic, LS.

Lingvo is a Russian-made English dictionary, so be careful. I know that Japanese-made English dictionaries can sometimes be very unrealistic, and I suppose that is true of any not written by native-speaker lexicographers.

What does tail mean? #5 (permalink) Wed Mar 21, 2007 12:31 pm   What does tail mean?

Hi Lost Soul

The words 'silk' and 'tall' are simply descriptive. They are adjectives that can be used to describe any number of things. But a 'top hat' is a certain type of hat.

EDIT:
Oops! Sorry, MM. I didn't see your post before I posted.

What does tail mean? #6 (permalink) Wed Mar 21, 2007 18:48 pm   What does tail mean?

Just FYI (and no, I'm not cheating by checking a dictionary. hehe):

There are other meanings for "tail":

Tail (n) = animal tail (as in the tail of a dog)
"The dog chased his tail."

Tail (v) = Follow (often closely)
"The cop tailed the perp for about eight blocks before arresting him."

What does tail mean? #7 (permalink) Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:40 am   What does tail mean?

Hi,

Please explain the meaning of "...top hats and tails."
Are the words "top" and "hats" together?
or
Is it "...top, hats and tails." A comma after top??

HELP!!
Ceo Neeraj
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

What does tail mean? #8 (permalink) Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:51 am   What does tail mean?

the men wear top hats and tails.

The sentence is written correctly. Here is a man wearing a TOP HAT and TAILS. (The tails are the cut of the back of the coat).

What does tail mean? #9 (permalink) Tue Aug 06, 2013 0:53 am   What does tail mean?

Top Hat and Tails

If i remember well the pic is from the film Singin' in the Rain and here we can see Gene Kelly in Top Hat and Tails

Tails or Tail coat: a long jacket divided at the back bellow the waist into two pieces that become narrower at the bottom, worn by men at formal events.

What does tail mean? #10 (permalink) Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:29 am   What does tail mean?

Fred Astaire?
Co-founder
Alan Townend

What does tail mean? #11 (permalink) Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:44 pm   What does tail mean?

Hello Alain,

Yes you are right. I've showed the picture to my husband and asked him only: "Who is he?"
And he replied without pondering: Fred Astaire and let loose his indignation which meant "How do you ask me so simply question?"

I am very sorry for my bad memory. Now it is clear as day. I remember everything. He was the king of the step-dancers, wasn't he?

I am sorry that my mind went blank!

Many thanks for your help.

Regards.

Through his hat | English idiom: take out the trash
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
i wrote an ielts writing of task 2 please come inwhen you want to market a new productIs completely wrong a collocation?What is souvenirs?What is Ping pong?Does verb phrase "speak up" mean tell the truth?What is the difference between 'fast lane' and 'fast track'?Meaning of 'Once this disclosure is highlighted'What does reading public mean?Introduce vs. enterHigh profile and high dramaMeaning of 'whiff'What does 'skylarking' mean? Is it an idiom?