Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

supplementary charge; additional charge; amount paid for insurance; reward
occupancy
premium
journey
harmony
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

"to buy out" vs. "to buy up".

ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
What does 'the devil's advocate' mean? | "well done" vs. "well made"
listening exercises
"to buy out" vs. "to buy up". #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 09, 2010 18:20 pm   "to buy out" vs. "to buy up".

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #768 "Money: Phrasal Verbs (3)", question 5

Mr. Garrison just bought ......... all of the remaining lots that were for sale. He wants to own most of this subdivision.

(a) up
(b) down
(c) through
(d) by

English Language Proficiency Tests, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #768 "Money: Phrasal Verbs (3)", answer 5

Mr. Garrison just bought up all of the remaining lots that were for sale. He wants to own most of this subdivision.

Correct answer: (a) up

Your answer was: correct

Hello!
Would you mind explaining the difference between the two phrasal verbes "to buy out" and "to buy up".
Thanks a lot.
Fatma Zohra
I'm new here and I like it ;-)

"to buy out" vs. "to buy up". #2 (permalink) Sat Apr 10, 2010 13:28 pm   "to buy out" vs. "to buy up".

buy out
To purchase the entire stock, business rights, or interests of something. (That is, no one else owns any part of it.)
buy up
To purchase all that is available of something, but not necessarily all that exists. (For example, where someone else owns part of it and is not prepared to sell.)
Language Coach

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
What does 'the devil's advocate' mean? | "well done" vs. "well made"
ESL Forum | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on English Forums
Asking about this particular questionwhat does insecurity mean?Use "filthy" just in the meaning of "dirty"I've got my mind set on youDon't forget to buy Monica a present...Meaning of 'Put money towards'you(s) own vs you(p) ownIs this right vs. Is this correct?Meaning of 'I shall now have to take the matter further'meaning of poundedDifference between all synonyms of 'exchange'Thrash versus strikeMeaning of 'errand'