supplementary charge; additional charge; amount paid for insurance; reward
occupancy
premium
journey
harmony

"to buy out" vs. "to buy up".

What does 'the devil's advocate' mean? | "well done" vs. "well made"
"to buy out" vs. "to buy up". #1 (permalink) Fri Apr 09, 2010 18:20 pm   "to buy out" vs. "to buy up".

ESL/EFL Test #768 "Money: Phrasal Verbs (3)", question 5

Mr. Garrison just bought ......... all of the remaining lots that were for sale. He wants to own most of this subdivision.

(a) up
(b) down
(c) through
(d) by

ESL/EFL Test #768 "Money: Phrasal Verbs (3)", answer 5

Mr. Garrison just bought up all of the remaining lots that were for sale. He wants to own most of this subdivision.

Correct answer: (a) up

_________________________

Hello!
Would you mind explaining the difference between the two phrasal verbes "to buy out" and "to buy up".
Thanks a lot.
Fatma Zohra

"to buy out" vs. "to buy up". #2 (permalink) Sat Apr 10, 2010 13:28 pm   "to buy out" vs. "to buy up".

buy out
To purchase the entire stock, business rights, or interests of something. (That is, no one else owns any part of it.)
buy up
To purchase all that is available of something, but not necessarily all that exists. (For example, where someone else owns part of it and is not prepared to sell.)
_________________

Learn to use the present simple with the help of this short storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Learn how to explore English words! Subscribe to free email English course
Asking about this particular questionwhat does insecurity mean?Use "filthy" just in the meaning of "dirty"I've got my mind set on youDon't forget to buy Monica a present...Meaning of 'Put money towards'you(s) own vs you(p) ownIs this right vs. Is this correct?Meaning of 'I shall now have to take the matter further'meaning of poundedDifference between all synonyms of 'exchange'Thrash versus strikeMeaning of 'errand'