common; regular; boring; tedious; dull
imaginary
advance
prosaic
straightforward

I've got my mind set on you

"well done" vs. "well made" | Hymn vs. prayer
I've got my mind set on you #1 (permalink) Sat Apr 10, 2010 19:54 pm   I've got my mind set on you

"What are you going to buy Mark for his birthday? I know that his ......... is set on a new bicycle. He's been saving up for it, so I decided to buy it for him instead. Then he will have a new bike and some money," Luke said to Ellie.

(a) hand
(b) back
(c) heart
(d) tools

"What are you going to buy Mark for his birthday? I know that his heart is set on a new bicycle. He's been saving up for it, so I decided to buy it for him instead. Then he will have a new bike and some money," Luke said to Ellie.

Correct answer: (c) heart

_________________________

I think I understand what "his heart is set on a new bicycle" means, my question is about "his mind is set on (someone or something)". Does it mean that he wants (or think often about) it/her, or it means that he decided what relation to have with that something or someone? Can one say "I've got my mind set on you/it" instead of "I've made up my mind about you/it"?

Baubau

I've got my mind set on you #2 (permalink) Sat Apr 10, 2010 20:05 pm   I've got my mind set on you

You've obviously given that a great deal of thought, Baubau, because you've come so close to the answer:

It can mean he is determined to do it as well as he possibly can, and will not be distracted from it.
"He had his mind set firmly on the task in hand."

It can also mean he wants someone particular for some reason:
"I know I could ask Carl to lead the team, but I have my mind set on Jim."
"I don't want anyone else. I've got my mind set on you."

_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
I've got my mind set on you #3 (permalink) Sat Apr 10, 2010 20:24 pm   I've got my mind set on you

Beeesneees wrote:
You've obviously given that a great deal of thought

You are so right. I wish you'll never find to what level can horror and hate make you dissect every single bit of information.

Thank you very much for the help.
Baubau

clip vs. clipsAsking about this particular questionwhat does insecurity mean?Use "filthy" just in the meaning of "dirty"What does 'the devil's advocate' mean?Don't forget to buy Monica a present...Meaning of 'Put money towards'you(s) own vs you(p) own"to buy out" vs. "to buy up".Is this right vs. Is this correct?Meaning of 'I shall now have to take the matter further'meaning of poundedMeaning of 'errand'