Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

list; evidence; best result ever attained; list of events or actions
record
disposition
industry
tenure
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

The first item on the statement. vs The first item of the statement.

ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests)
"stay in our bed" vs. "stay in bed" | Why we should not use asks for this question?
listening exercises
The first item on the statement. vs The first item of the statement. #1 (permalink) Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:00 am   The first item on the statement. vs The first item of the statement.

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #152 "Income Statements", question 2

The first item on the statement is the total amount of sales of products or services; this is often referred to as ......... sales.

(a) gross
(b) mass
(c) overall
(d) whole

Business English Lesson, Advanced Level

ESL/EFL Test #152 "Income Statements", answer 2

The first item on the statement is the total amount of sales of products or services; this is often referred to as gross sales.

Correct answer: (a) gross

Curious, whether we necessarily have to use the preposition on in:
"The first item on the statement"
or we just as well say:
The first item in the statement
The first item of the statement

& the meaning will be the same?!
I'm here quite often ;-)

The first item on the statement. vs The first item of the statement. #2 (permalink) Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:05 am   The first item on the statement. vs The first item of the statement.

may it is referred as one of the ITEMS in the REPORT statement....that is why ' on ' is used....it all depends on contextual meaning....

Better tomorrow with better English
Sahid59
I'm here quite often ;-)

Learn all about English adverbs in this amusing storyEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!This newsletter tells you all about English! Subscribe to free email English course
The first item on the statement. vs The first item of the statement. #3 (permalink) Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:37 am   The first item on the statement. vs The first item of the statement.

I have a sneaky suspicion that the use of the preposition on is a characteristic feature of economics-related language.
F.i. In yet another sentence of the same test we can see:
Depreciation expenses the wear and tear on assets like machinery, equipment and furnishings.
I'm here quite often ;-)

The first item on the statement. vs The first item of the statement. #4 (permalink) Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:38 am   The first item on the statement. vs The first item of the statement.

Hi Gheon,
It might help if you think of it this way.
You would not say "I write in the paper" (unless you mean something like a newspaper which has an inside) or "I write of the paper". You would write on the paper.

A statement is a paper on which an itemised list is written. Like any other paper, you write the list on it, not in it or of it, therefore when talking about the items, the correct structure is also to use 'on'.

I know that a rule of English which is logical might be a bit of a shock. :)
Language Coach

The first item on the statement. vs The first item of the statement. #5 (permalink) Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:53 am   The first item on the statement. vs The first item of the statement.

Thanks for the hint on items. It's been really helpful, though I must admit that sometimes it's much easier just to remember than to look for any other explanation. But IMHO the positive side of all those searches is that after devoting so much attention to this or that case one would never forget the correct variant.
I'm here quite often ;-)

The first item on the statement. vs The first item of the statement. #6 (permalink) Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:58 am   The first item on the statement. vs The first item of the statement.

Beeesneees wrote:
You would not say "I write in the paper" (unless you mean something like a newspaper which has an inside) or "I write of the paper". You would write on the paper.

I know that a rule of English which is logical might be a bit of a shock. :)

It occured to me that your use & understanding of the usage of the preposition is 3-dimensional while the average person usually thinks 2-dimensionally, if you get what I mean.
I'm here quite often ;-)

The first item on the statement. vs The first item of the statement. #7 (permalink) Thu Apr 15, 2010 20:53 pm   The first item on the statement. vs The first item of the statement.

Ah yes... you're saying I'm, spaced out! :D
Language Coach

The first item on the statement. vs The first item of the statement. #8 (permalink) Thu Apr 15, 2010 22:59 pm   The first item on the statement. vs The first item of the statement.

Beeesneees wrote:
Ah yes... you're saying I'm, spaced out! :D

Twas a joke, as sure as death. Glad you got it correct ;)
I'm here quite often ;-)

"stay in our bed" vs. "stay in bed" | Why we should not use asks for this question?
ESL Forums | English Teacher Explanations (ESL Tests) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
Ratification has been outlawed in all states?What does 'bench' mean?off-handnothing short of vs. no lessyou pick up your own soilGet out of my house!What does pounding mean?What is an 'inn'?Search portal vs. search engineWhy they are offten called farmers' markets?the first year's depreciation using the sm-of-the-year's method?'run off' vs 'run down'meaning of temporary