person or company that does a particular job or assignment
membership
contractor
element
certificate

What does speak up mean?

How can cat be sitting on a wall? | Give a lift to someone
What does speak up mean? #1 (permalink) Tue Nov 29, 2005 22:41 pm   What does speak up mean?

ESL/EFL Test "The Bells", question 4

Sorry you'll have to speak ..........

(a) to
(b) up
(c) along
(d) through

ESL/EFL Test "The Bells", answer 4

Sorry you'll have to speak up.

Correct answer: (b) up

Your answer was: n/a
_________________________

what's the speak up means?

Kongo
Kongo

Speak up #2 (permalink) Tue Nov 29, 2005 22:58 pm   Speak up

Speak up means speak louder, which someone says if they don't hear what you say the first time.

_________________

In this story you'll learn everything about the passive voiceEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
What's the speak up means #3 (permalink) Sun Mar 15, 2009 5:19 am   What's the speak up means

dear alan,

what is the meaning of speak through??
Durra

What's the speak up means #4 (permalink) Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:05 am   What's the speak up means

Hi Durra,

To explain what this means I need to know how you want to use 'speak through' in a sentence.

_________________

What's the speak up means #5 (permalink) Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:12 am   What's the speak up means

1) Nicole wants to speak through her art.

2) Now listen again and speak along with the teacher.

3) Professor Ken Robinson to speak to arts and education community.

4) Speak up! Tell us what you want!

A question -- does 'speak up' here mean 'break silence'?
_________________
First lesson - English, not english. I, not i. ~A student of English
Gray

Location: Proxima Centauri

What's the speak up means #6 (permalink) Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:24 am   What's the speak up means

That's not really an example of 'speak through' in a sentence because 'through her art' is a separate preposition phrase. I would suggest that 'speak through' as a sort of phrasal verb could be likened to 'read through', which means read from beginning to end. In that sense 'speak through' could possibly be used by an actor to mean read out the lines in a play (a particular role) from start to finish.

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

What's the speak up means #7 (permalink) Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:39 am   What's the speak up means

Nicole wants to speak through her art.

--She wants to express herself through her art.

Nicole wants to speak through the dialogues given to her before proceeding with the shooting.

--She is going to read the dialogues out loud.

Is it correct?
_________________
Gray

Location: Proxima Centauri

What does speak up mean? #8 (permalink) Sun Mar 15, 2009 14:35 pm   What does speak up mean?

Yes.
_________________
You can read my EFL story Prepositions

Speaking up can be dangerous #9 (permalink) Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:17 am   Speaking up can be dangerous

Hi Gray
I noticed that one of your questions hadn't been answered. The silence was deafening, so I thought I'd speak up. :mrgreen:
Gray wrote:
4) Speak up! Tell us what you want!

Yes, you could use it that way. "Speak up" is also used to mean "express an opinion freely". In a police state, for example, a person who speaks up about things that the people in power don't want other people to know or think about might suddenly find themselves violently silenced.

Take care
______________________
ESL teacher, native speaker of American English and the person who used to post here as "Yankee". :wink:
AmYankee

Speaking up can be dangerous #10 (permalink) Wed Mar 18, 2009 20:58 pm   Speaking up can be dangerous

AmYankee wrote:

Thanks a lot for your attention :) By the way, what idiom I could use here to say that you are attentive to details?

AmYankee wrote:

What does it mean -- 'in a police state'?
_________________
Gray

Location: Proxima Centauri

What does speak up mean? #11 (permalink) Thu Mar 19, 2009 17:37 pm   What does speak up mean?

Hi Gray
Gray wrote:
By the way, what idiom I could use here to say that you are attentive to details?

I suppose that would depend on whether you see the attention to detail in a positive or negative light. If you see attention to detail as unneccessary or excessive, you might say that the person is a nit-picker. If you view someone's attention to detail neutrally, or view it as a necessary, desirable and/or positive thing, you might simply refer to the person as detail-oriented.

You could also say that a person who "doesn't miss a trick" is a person who is always alert and never fails to notice even small things.

Gray wrote:

You can find "police state" easily at onelook.com:
http://www.onelook.com/?w=police+state&ls=a

Here is the definition of "police state" from the Merriam-Webster Dictionary (I've highlighted some of the words):
a political unit characterized by repressive governmental control of political, economic, and social life usually by an arbitrary exercise of power by police and especially secret police in place of regular operation of administrative and judicial organs of the government according to publicly known legal procedures.

You can also find a write-up of "police state" at Wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Police_state

I'd say it's generally dangerous to express opinions that differ from the opinions of those in power in a police state, and that often includes expressing your opinion privately (since secret police will spy on people and invade their privacy).

All the best!
________________________
ESL teacher, translator, native speaker of American English
AmYankee

What does speak up mean? #12 (permalink) Thu Mar 19, 2009 20:18 pm   What does speak up mean?

Hi Gray,

An expression that you might find appropriate is 'pay attention to detail'.

alan
_________________
You can read my ESL story Make or Do?

What does speak up mean? #13 (permalink) Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:26 am   What does speak up mean?

I couldn't understand the meaning of this sentence at all.
If there was such example as "Sorry you'll have to speak .......... I don't hear you well" it would be clearer.
Olgavic

Location: Ukraine

What does speak up mean? #14 (permalink) Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:13 am   What does speak up mean?

Not quite sure what you are asking. All I can say is that 'speak up' can suggest 'speak more loudly'. You would say this at the back of a hall for example when you can't hear what the speaker is saying. 'Speak out' often has the idea of expressing your opinion freely and publicly without worrying about the consequences.

Was that what you wanted?

_________________
You can read my EFL story Indirect Speech

What does speak up mean? #15 (permalink) Mon Feb 22, 2010 17:25 pm   What does speak up mean?

Hello Alan! Thank you again. I wanted to understand what a preposition should I use and why and you helped me.
Olgavic

Location: Ukraine

to audition for a role?Has just won vs. just wonmeet with somebody vs. meet somebodyroute vs. rootWhat does the latest news mean?'as soon as' vs 'when'It can be like this know? Make vs. made'You're welcome' vs. 'You are welcome'Difference between SURELY and CERTAINLYWhat does speak up mean?, page 2There's little hopeDifference between choose and findMeaning of "that said"