Google
English-Test.net
Find penpals and make new friends today!

delivery; dispatch; conveyance
consignment
index
significance
trustee
full quiz correct answer

Username
Password
 Remember me? 
Search   Album   FAQ   Memberlist   Profile   Private messages   Register   Log in 

about that and about it.

ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms
Fraction: a half vs one half; a third vs one third; a fourth vs one fourth | Seem: It seemed (like) a normal day at school
listening exercises
about that and about it. #1 (permalink) Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:58 am   about that and about it.

Please, who can help me? Is there difference between the following senteces¨ I tottaly forgot about that¨ and ¨I forgot about it¨. Are both correct? Thanks.
Cristovam
I'm here quite often ;-)

about that and about it. #2 (permalink) Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:36 am   about that and about it.

I would think the difference, if any, lies in deixis: that [+deictic] vs. it [-deictic]. Very sorry for the abstraction and lack of better expression! Anyway, both are correct grammatically. BTW, it was totally.
Haihao
I'm a Communicator ;-)

Want to learn about the future tenses? Read this story and smileEnglish grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is all you want to know about English! Click to subscribe to free email English course
about that and about it. #3 (permalink) Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:15 am   about that and about it.

Please activate Javascript in your browser to listen to this audio recording

179 Listened
Download mp3 Click to listen

Hi,

By referring to 'that' you are talking about something specific but reference to 'it' merely completes the sense of the verb as in:

A You know it will cost a lot of money?

B I haven't forgotten about that. (the actual money)

A You know what I think?

B No.

A Just forget it. (the whole idea)

Alan
Co-founder
Alan Townend

Fraction: a half vs one half; a third vs one third; a fourth vs one fourth | Seem: It seemed (like) a normal day at school
ESL Forums | English Vocabulary, Grammar and Idioms All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1
Latest topics on ESL EFL Forums
glimpse vs flashIs it called a simple sentence with two predicates?Poem: What God has joined together, No human being must separate...meaning: hypervenerateAct & actionPronoun: He did it himself. vs He did it on his own. vs He did it by himself.IF clauseA question about : tiredThe Alan's text "Learning to teach"Meanig of "before he didn't leap up"Phrase "keeping score at home"Supply or provide?Need some help with the English Newsletter - Potatoes!