greatest; most; utmost; highest
curt
practical
savvy
maximum

Difference between start up and begin up

Meaning of chin up | What does 'in a rut' mean?
Difference between start up and begin up #1 (permalink) Wed Nov 30, 2005 22:20 pm   Difference between start up and begin up

ESL/EFL Test "Start/Begin", question 10

I would greatly appreciate it if you didn't ......... up that old argument again.

(a) start
(b) begin
(c) starts
(d) begins

ESL/EFL Test "Start/Begin", answer 10

I would greatly appreciate it if you didn't start up that old argument again.

Correct answer: (a) start

I would greatly appreciate it if you didn't begin up that old argument again.
_________________________

what's correct difference between start up and begin up?
Little Joe

Begin/start #2 (permalink) Wed Nov 30, 2005 23:42 pm   Begin/start

Hi Little Joe,

The only phrasal verb is start up meaning begin again.

_________________

What do you know about the progressive forms?English grammar exercises — improve your English knowledge and vocabulary skillsAre you a native speaker of English? Then you should read this!Here is how you can learn English the fun way! Click to subscribe to free email English course
Difference between start up and begin up #3 (permalink) Thu Sep 18, 2008 14:45 pm   Difference between start up and begin up

Dear Alan
After reading your article on Start/Begin difference I found in this statement word 'argument' is playing important role.
This person expects an argument which indicates there is a disagreement between two of them. Another person will defence/prove his/her point by responding 'immediately' (sense of urgency) so Start is the only word which fits here.
annu
Anubala

start vs begin #4 (permalink) Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:31 am   start vs begin

i think didn't is the wrong tense it should be "don't start up" is that correct or not? 8)
Malak

Location: Amman, Jordan

start vs begin #5 (permalink) Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:34 am   start vs begin

dears teachers,

i got 9 of 10 in this test.

best regards,

malak
Malak

Location: Amman, Jordan

Difference between start up and begin up #6 (permalink) Mon Oct 20, 2008 14:18 pm   Difference between start up and begin up

Dear Alan,

Can I use the verb "start off" instead of "start up" in the following example:
"I would greatly appreciate it if you didn't start off that old argument again." ?

Best regards,

Nodira
Nodira

Difference between start up and begin up #7 (permalink) Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:10 am   Difference between start up and begin up

Do we need to use again in this sentence in the cause of start up's meaning begin again.
Sendoh Phan

Difference between start up and begin up #8 (permalink) Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:06 am   Difference between start up and begin up

You are right by hinting that 'again' is already contained in the idea of 'start up' but I would suggest that the speaker in the test wants to express irritation. This irritation can be emphasised more strongly by adding 'again'.

_________________

Difference between start up and begin up #9 (permalink) Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:41 am   Difference between start up and begin up

For a one more question, I wonder How and where I could begin to study a topic like Breaking American accent ?
Sendoh Phan

Difference between start up and begin up #10 (permalink) Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:47 pm   Difference between start up and begin up

Not quite sure what you mean by 'breaking'.

_________________
You can read my ESL story Passive Voice

Difference between start up and begin up #11 (permalink) Sat Nov 29, 2008 13:27 pm   Difference between start up and begin up

It is about intonation, using tongue or saying without no hypertension.
I hope you can help me to identify British and American speaking
Sendoh Phan

Difference between start up and begin up #12 (permalink) Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:40 am   Difference between start up and begin up

Dear Mr. Alan

Your way of teaching/explaining is really excellent. It is simply understandable.

Keep guiding in this beautiful way.

Regards

misskhan
Misskhan

Location: Lahore, Pakistan

Difference between start up and begin up #13 (permalink) Mon Mar 02, 2009 14:17 pm   Difference between start up and begin up

Dear Sirs,

Can U explain me differance of these
1.began
2.Begin.
3.start
4.started
5.Begins
6.Starts
7.beginning
8.starting
9.begun

regards

sajjad pasha
Sajjad Pasha

Difference between start up and begin up #14 (permalink) Mon Mar 02, 2009 15:29 pm   Difference between start up and begin up

Dear Sajjad Pasha,

The words you have posted are simply different verb forms. For example, 'began' is the simple past form of the infinitive begin. It's best if you try to learn those forms in context.

Also, please note that the word 'U' does not exist in English and that you made a typo when trying to write 'difference'.

TOEIC listening, photographs: Two girls walking

Difference between start up and begin up #15 (permalink) Wed Mar 25, 2009 14:39 pm   Difference between start up and begin up

hello teacher ,I would like to know the difference between start up and start off
Sasooo

That is definitely in our ballparkIn my book, that is the kind of behavior that deserves a reward.in a jiffy vs. in an instantThe justice system imprisoned Donovan ten years ago.Meaning of 'captive'?You shouldn't talk back to your mother nor should you disobey her rulesin like a FlynnWhat does named after mean?a little more beef vs. a few more beefWhat does abdominal mean?Expression "good luck"Sentence: Bill straightened up the office, pretending not to listen Bob's end...